The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chroming the rings inside headlights

Glosphil

Hi I got a second set of jap spec lights and did the oven thing and took them apart and sprayed the inside etc. No problems there

However, the rings around the lights had all gone bubbly and flaked away so I just rubbed them down and sprayed them.

Is there anything you can get to rechrome them? I'll have a nice set of facelift looking lights then

Cheers

Guest gzaerojon
Hi I got a second set of jap spec lights and did the oven thing and took them apart and sprayed the inside etc. No problems there

However, the rings around the lights had all gone bubbly and flaked away so I just rubbed them down and sprayed them.

Is there anything you can get to rechrome them? I'll have a nice set of facelift looking lights then

Cheers

hi mate, i face this problem all the time. there's nothing that can be done really about re chroming unless you are prepared to spend loads, the best price i got was £250 for a pair, really not worth it imo

Have you tried halfrauds? I know some of the branches do a dipping service but I dont know if it will stand the heat from the bulbs.

What about keeping an eye out for a second hand pair of yellowed j-spec's aswell (e-bay maybe), they will be cheap and you could facelift them (as long as the chrome rings are fine) and use your lenses. I'm sure someone on here will have a set of old j-spec's after installing facelift lights aswell.

I used chrome spray, its been on for ages now with no problems can put a pic up if you like (and if i can find one lol) :)

EDIT: just realised, have a look in my garage I would describe as less silver than chrome but more chrome than silver but still silver, but more chrome pmsl :D :blink:

Just looking into this spraying lark, and saw this, its available in chrome, but then I saw gold.... since I've got gold liquidart badges etc, what u think? gold rings?

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/h/HUMJMET/

Ummmm, bare in mind your lights will get hot when in use for some time and listen to their warning:

NOT SUITABLE FOR use on wicker baskets, radiators (heat):search:, ceramics, ironware, furniture, stencilling, picture frames, dado rails, louver doors, toys, bikes etc.

Sorry for being a killjoy. Does look good with the gold though I like.

Would be something I would go for since I got gold alloys on my silver Supe

Ummmm, bare in mind your lights will get hot when in use for some time and listen to their warning:

NOT SUITABLE FOR use on wicker baskets, radiators (heat):search:, ceramics, ironware, furniture, stencilling, picture frames, dado rails, louver doors, toys, bikes etc.

Sorry for being a killjoy. Does look good with the gold though I like.

Would be something I would go for since I got gold alloys on my silver Supe

Yeah I kind of like it in gold too, Supe is black, with gold badges so rekon it will suit it nicely.