The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have an engine - finally back on the road (maybe)

razza

Finally after several delays and frantic searching for the right replacement I have myself an engine:D:D:D

Hopefully all will go well and I should be back on the road in a couple of weeks, can't wait!!!!!

Man, I'm happy now, fingers crossed it's a good buy, but feels like I'm getting somewhere now.

It's coldflame's old one who he sold to rovervi for a N/A-TT conversion, but he needed more than what was with the engine, so I got a second shot at getting it when I passed it up first time round:innocent:

Has a UK head with UK cams and turbo's, so once the wedding is out the way I may sort out the injectors and get it remapped.:eyebrows:

might have a beer tonight, just the one mind as got to pay for this now:(

Nice one mate. What happened to your car then? Apologies if you had a thread about it at the time - my internet access has been sporadic at best over the last few months so I've missed quite a bit on here!

I think this sums it up nicely, a little email to my mate's at the time:

soooo, after blasting down the M4 on the way home from training on Monday (110-130 leptons), car running fine, pull up to the junction 11 roundabout, give it the boot off the lights (some idiot in a golf next to me giving it some revs) and bang, puff the magic dragon rears his massive head out the back of my car, inside my car, oh sh!t I think the car's on fire....

pull over and there's smoke pouring out the exhaust like nothing I've ever seen, smoke billowing out the engine, the whole cabin has filled with smoke, I very carefully open the bonnet expecting to be engulfed in flames, but luckily my hair was saved from being singed off this time.

the golf pulls over, trying not to gloat at my way faster car that just "exploded into smoke that just kept coming and coming", and makes sure I'm not a human torch. Luckily it was late and no-one else around otherwise it would have been demolition derby time on the a33.

by the time the smoke cleared from over Whitley (not a bad thing believe me), the stench of oil was thankfully (but not for my car) overpowering the usual Whitley Whiff.

After standing in the cold dark winter night for about an hour (during which a good Samaritan did stop to help, then realised the issue, grimaced and carried on his merry way to somewhere warm, in a car that worked) the recovery vehicle arrived.

"OK, let's get you home then get this to a garage" he says. We then have a little game of I spy, with the object I was think of a being a Tow ring. This for me was obviously a winner and a bit of smug amusement as he tried his best to better me at this game.....he failed, I have no tow ring...

out come the clamps....then about 15mins of let's pretend, with him trying to be a fish, squirming around trying to get under the car "it's a bit low isn't it", give the guy a blue peter badge...but perseverance saw him through and was ready to rock and roll.

until he tried to tow it up the back of the flat bed, not only was the car very wide and he just managed to not scrape the wheels, but the angle of the dangle didn't like the low level of my front bumper. After careful placement of parts of my interior wrapped around the cable, he managed to get it on board without damaging it at all. Good man!!!

Now comes the heartbreaking, wallet crushing part.....

The garage has had a quick look at it, the turbo shaft broke causing the blade to get stuck at 45 degrees in the inlet pipe, hence it was throwing no oil bang into the engine, just down the induction pipe and also down into the intercooler, and I think everywhere else apart from where it bloody well should be.

That's a bitch

unfortunately they've also found shrapnel from the turbo shaft/blades throughout the pipework and into the main block. After a compression test 5 out of 6 cylinders have 60%+ leakage, and are therefore knackered.

They would have to strip the engine totally and possibly have to re-bore it out as the shards may have caused even further damage, we're talking full engine rebuilt and unfortunately it's not a Lego job...prices START at £2,500.....(that's without the turbo's, and Mel's hairdryer wouldn't fit)

So next option is to get a new (second hand is as near as new as I going to be able to dream off) engine and turbos....looking anything from £1000-1900 for this, before labour of around £1000.....

Other option is to sell it as a project for someone to work on, although not sure how much I would get back for this....and I would cry like Graham being hit in the balls with a rather large rock....

Or worse still, break it up and sell it piecemeal....

Mel obviously doesn't understand and wants me to bin it....yeah ok then, goodbye £10k car, and my pride and joy (aside from my large c##k)

If it wasn't for the wedding I'd think it's a sign to go single, maybe it is still if she wants me to bin it ;), however I can't afford the £7k to do that whilst saving for the wedding, so Mr Plastic may have to come out....

anyone want to get wasted this weekend,? it'll have to be on meths or super strength cheap booze nicked off the big issue sellers round town, as I'm done with going out now for the next year.....

Razza.