The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Meshing the grill...

Golddigga

....... as my car is a shit N/A ....
:shock::twak:

Its still a Supra and it can still look the dogs danglies. Aluminium mesh perishes, they do a decent Stainless wider gauge mesh thats a bummer to fit as it won't flex but it looks really neat annd gives it a quality look....even though its only an N/A :p

Lx

:shock::twak:

Its still a Supra and it can still look the dogs danglies. Aluminium mesh perishes, they do a decent Stainless wider gauge mesh thats a bummer to fit as it won't flex but it looks really neat annd gives it a quality look....even though its only an N/A :p

Lx

Sorry just me being silly. Most people like to make remarks about the N/A so thought I would beat them to it ;)

I looked at the wider gauge stainless steel, however thought that it might be too wide to cover the internals once the wider mouth front end is fitted. Views.........

Thanks,

Halfords stuff is fine Chris, you need it bendy (ooh err) to get it in the hole. Once its fixed its fine. Are you going to fit it without taking bumper off?

I tried the flexible plastic mesh onto the previous VS front whilst still on the supra and it was a nightmare to try and fit. Trying to fix it in place once you've manouevered it up is the hardest part. To do a proper job you really need to take it off.

What front is it btw? Standard or aftermarket? I believe the standard front has studs for fixing but someone here would need to confirm. My Varis had clips so I fitted it after it was sprayed and before fitting the bumper on the front. The stainless is harsh, inflexible and will make holes in your fingers!!!! :Pling: Looks good though ;)

Lx

That looks very neat. How did you get it fixed to the inside of the bumper? - I'm rubbish at this sort of thing, but really want mine done

J

I paid a bodyshop a lot of money to get this fitted, but even though I'd thought they'd taken the bumper off to fit it, they hadn't :rolleyes:

Luckily its a reasonably good job, but I would recommend you get the bumper off if you want to make the task a lot simpler! :)

I fitted mesh to my previous stock bumper while it was still on its quite easy once you cut it to size and manouvere it through the centre gap.. there are stock points which you can use to mount it and is much easier than id first thought :)

Another trick is to get a tiny, tiny drill bit and drill 4 small holes in each corner of each of the 3 holes and then get some tiny, tiny cable ties, the smallest ones Halfords do, using white cable ties for silver cars and black for black etc, then cut your mesh, leave your bumper on, slide the pre-cut mesh up into place, bend the over hang around the shape of the hole and then slot the cable ties through your pre-drilled holes and through the mesh, making sure your fat end of the cable tie is around the back, pull it all up tight and robert is your fathers brother..........granted sloting the cable ties through your mesh and drilled holes and then back through again can be real fiddly but it just takes some time, patience and fiddling with....

This makes replacing the mesh nice and simple as over time the mesh will break down and discolour, and when you come to change it, just cut the tiny cable ties and replace.....

You can hardly see the cable ties when they are all done up tight, providing you have drilled your holes as close as possible to the inside edge of your hole and you can only see the ties if you get your head right in there close to look and it saves you messing around with that fibre glue stuff......

I done this to a few cars, prob takes 2-3 hours to do all 3 holes...

The black mesh I have used from Halfords has also worked fine for me - no issues at all. I am running a Top Secret nose cone and managed to fit it without taking the nose cone off (like Mark said, having it bendy helps with this, is also easier to cut). This is despite having a bl**dy huge FMC. (Though my nose cone also has a much bigger mouth than standard, also, which makes things easier).

The trick with the screws is also a good idea. However many aftermarket bumpers, including mine, have ally mesh fitting tabs moulded into the bumper itself which makes the job very much easier.

Buy the Halfords stuff mate.

• 5 weeks later...

could comeone tell me once you cut out all your mesh etc... get in in the bumper how its then stuck in there? i dont really want to take the bumper off as iv got no tools. but at the same time dont want mesh hitting my tyres at 70 down the A1....

Any advice b4 i hit halfords

Had sooooo many people say to me "isnt there ment to be mesh in your bumper"