The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter driving tips

Guigsy

There seems to be a lot of new members arround the club at the moment so i thaught this would be a good idea to reduce the ammount of crashed sups we see at this time of year.

Im sure its been covered before but best to start a fresh thread.

Escpecialy as its been about 6deg all day today...

This is my first winter in a rwd car after driving the NA all year ive just got my TT auto.

So then chaps. lets hear the tips. Keep it serious guys so people dont have to filter out the crap to get usefull info.

What else do you need to know apart form less right foot?

TC off? TC on?

I have a UK spec and the TC is better. So i still leave it on on a slippery service?

Do i drive in manual mode keeping it in a higher gear and off boost? Im a bit of a noob when it comes to RWD cars on the slippy stuff especialy an auto.

snow + supra = nooo its very difficult and gets annoying as you pootle along at 5mph and sliding down roads ive experienced it first hand its really shitty!

oh yeah as mentioned good tyre tread is a must too

Excuse the silly question but since I only had the Supra 2 days I am still not that clued up yet.

How do you know if your TC is on or off only I don't see any lights come on or off on the dash when I press mine at all??

Thank you

Stamp on the loud peddle....if you shit your Y-Fronts its off. :D

Pay extra attetnion for all the arseholes out there that dont know how to drive and make sure you leave a bigger gap between you and the car infront had many people just brake harsh infront of me cuz they nearly missed there turning or just people who can't bloody brake properly at all.

How come similarly powered Beemers can drive okay in the snow?

Iv just started working at BMW and thats one of the qs i asked and they said that the bmw traction control & technology in the newer car is so advanced etc etc.

Going for a ride in a new M6 tomorrow :D will see how that goes on the greasy roads.

If it is snowy definitely use manu mode and start off in second..

A short time after I got my TT Supra I got caught in several inches of new snow in north West London and did not realise I could do this.

A 20 min journey took me 2 hrs, but I was grateful the traffic was so horrendous and slow, as 10 mph was really scary!. Just touching the throtle slewed the car sideways a few inches and despite the comment further up this thread, a BMW in front of me was having the same issue. Slight hills were a nightmare.....

Since then I have driven in snow a couple of times and in manu starting in 2nd, control, is much better. (Still keep the speed down though, and don't even think of turbo boost :no:

Throttle is a steering device lol

for me its

RE050A tyres

very good geometry (make a massive difference on greasy roads)

dont over inflate the tyres

One of the biggest problems is when running stock caster and toe at the front the car does little on the first "o'clock" turn of the wheel and in the next inch of turning the steering wheel it tries to swap ends.

Even lance settings will give a massive safety increase on our winter roads, with a bit less camber IMO.

C.Wilson or Tony Bones at hemel Hempstead can sort you out.

I had an mr2 and let me tell you rwd and snow doesnt go at all - Bus it or taxi in the snow folks !!!!!! Dont even bother .

I got my Supra in February. If you recall, there was a LOT of snow in February, and I had to drive it back down from Manchester in blizzard like conditions. The car aquaplaned so much...I'll admit I've never felt so nervous in my life.

JUST DON'T DRIVE IT IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE OF SNOW. If you don't got some decent winter rubber, its just irresponsible and not worth the risk of bending the soop or anyone else.

If you want the fun in the snow (and it is), take it out at night time away from traffic.

I've had supras for 10+ years now and there is just so many unexpected things that can happen when its slippery. Its not the soop but all wide-tire cars in general.

The bad things usually happen when you can't find traction when braking as opposed to not having traction accelerating.