The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The N/A Supra..

Guest steve b

Guest steve b

I'm considering an n/a Supra as a practical car. In the past I've researched the TT in detail as I came close to getting one 18 months ago but went quite different and got an Eunos (don't laugh 260bhp/ton is rapid ;) ). Anyway I gather theres quite alot of difference in the N/A car to the Turbo car.

The n/a I understand has a weaker gearbox and engine so theres no point thinking about later turboing it if I get board with the lack of power, it'd be better to just get a TT? Can people confirm / disagree with this?

In terms of keeping one n/a how much power can easily be extracted (easily i'm taking Standalone ECU & decat)?

If I decide at a later stage to have some fun with it as a track car how much weight can be taken out, whats a minimum weight one could be dropped too?

Is an n/a manual supra really not a sensible car to do the above with? Is it better to get an auto boxed one, not mod it and accept it as it is, does it make a good commuting, sensible everyday car?

p.s. I wouldn't be getting a TT, its an n/a or not at all, as I'd only want a manual turbo and I couldn't justify one in addition to the Eunos like I can justify an n/a. :)

cheers for any advise.

Steve B

I'm considering an n/a Supra as a practical car. In the past I've researched the TT in detail as I came close to getting one 18 months ago but went quite different and got an Eunos (don't laugh 260bhp/ton is rapid ;) ). Anyway I gather theres quite alot of difference in the N/A car to the Turbo car.

The n/a I understand has a weaker gearbox and engine so theres no point thinking about later turboing it if I get board with the lack of power, it'd be better to just get a TT? Can people confirm / disagree with this?

True...to a degree. Yes the W58 gearbox isn't as strong as the V160. The engines while there are differences are also both fairly strong. However going NA/T isn't cheap by any means (doing it properly that is) and high power figures have been attained.

In terms of keeping one n/a how much power can easily be extracted (easily i'm taking Standalone ECU & decat)?

Not a great deal for the amount of cash you will spend.

If I decide at a later stage to have some fun with it as a track car how much weight can be taken out, whats a minimum weight one could be dropped too?

There are plenty of threads on weight shedding. Have a look.

Is an n/a manual supra really not a sensible car to do the above with? Is it better to get an auto boxed one, not mod it and accept it as it is, does it make a good commuting, sensible everyday car?

I have an N/A manual as a daily driver, does fine even with the triple plate clutch and cusco diff, little hairy but all depends on the right foot. The auto is lovely as well, I had an NA auto and it is still a rapid car and is lovely on the motorway. As far as being sensible, probably not, there isn't much boot space and it can only REALLY carry 2 people in any comfort.

p.s. I wouldn't be getting a TT, its an n/a or not at all, as I'd only want a manual turbo and I couldn't justify one in addition to the Eunos like I can justify an n/a. :)

I'm considering an n/a Supra as a practical car.

Hmm! Not something that is said often on this site mate!:)

Welcome to the club BTW. I have an NA and I love it. It doesn't hang about but it's not going to set your world alight either!

As far as practicality goes, I would forget it. I have never know suck a big car to be so useless when it comes to passenger space!! The boot is ok but very shallow!

H.

Guest steve b

Cheers JustGav :) I'll have a search about the weight, I can assume whatever people have got a turbo down to an n/a can be about 50kg less? I guess when I say practical, I mean compared to an Eunos, in space terms. Are they particularly thirsty or costly in terms of parts on going maintanence?

Craig ?

Guest steve b

p.s. I'm the person that was kindly taken out by someone in a black single converted, P-FC run car (sorry I forget your name :( ) while Ryan was touching up your map at the top end a couple of months ago at Reading. Been thinking since then how I'd quite like one :)

Guest steve b
Supra boot = 2 golf bags, and that is probably pushing it :)

Thats 2 more than an Eunos :D

So the auto / manual ones not essentially better than the other its just auto / manual personnal preference? I'm inclinded to go manual, but auto wouldn't hurt (if i was to keep the car stock), I've had a V6GX Camry before.

Hmm! Not something that is said often on this site mate!:)

Welcome to the club BTW. I have an NA and I love it. It doesn't hang about but it's not going to set your world alight either!

As far as practicality goes, I would forget it. I have never know suck a big car to be so useless when it comes to passenger space!! The boot is ok but very shallow!

H.

personaly think its a 100% practical...as long as you have no kids & if you need the car for any means of transporting more than your own physical body and maybe a bottle of coke(the small ones) then it becomes 0% pratical (fun thou :) )

p.s. fuel is good..i get 350miles to a tank np

and you can squese 30-40 bhp out of a SZ at not too much expence without a turbo but no more (so ive been told and what the dyno shows, havnt done it myself)

Guest steve b
personaly think its a 100% practical...as long as you have no kids & if you need the car for any means of transporting more than your own physical body and maybe a bottle of coke(the small ones) then it becomes 0% pratical (fun thou :) )

and you can squese 30-40 bhp out of a SZ at not too much expence without a turbo but no more (so ive been told and what the dyno shows, havnt done it myself)

wow, i'm amazed that much of an increase is possible. I thought there maybe a touch as an ECU on a Toyota V6 can boost power alot, i.e. 190bhp to 230ish but I thought the I6 in the Supra would have been more highly tuned to start with.

The back seats are not too bad I think people are being as negative as possible about them, I'm 5'10" and was ok in the back. The boot to be honest I've not looked in one for about 10 years, I remember it being shallow with a hump in the middle for the spare wheel, but thought it was quite a reasonable on the whole. Maybe its smaller than I remember?

Not easy or cheap to get 30-40 hp out of the n/a without nitrous etc

u you get 3 people in it for short trips.

I also fit my shopping and computers and camping stuff in it quite easily on a regular basis.

Ive also had a front bumper and sideskirts in mine.

There not 2 bad.

Mines for sale Have a look and if u fancy taking a look arround it your welcome. Its a 5 speed and it perfectly fine arround town. Drove it every day till i upgraded to a TT which i still drive every day :)

Guest steve b

Been looking at the weight loss threads and other links, very suprised at how difficult it is to get the weight down on them. I thought 1250kg would be possible but it appears 1350 kg is hard enough relating to turbo cars.

non-turbo: ~3210 lb (1460 kg) turbo: ~3505 lb (1580.9 kg)

If accurate, that suggests as the lightest turbo weight I can find is 1360kg wet and the turbo starts 120kg heavier than the n/a and n/a should at best be able to hit 1240kg.. ??

If so thats not too bad, if 20bhp is realistic extra then 200bhp/ton is possible that makes for a fun car.

Hey Steve

I hope your going to keep your euno for track days as that thing is a right little weapon.

Will have to catch up soon and See if we can squeeze some more boost in. Also look at Maybe going WI with meth too keep things cooler on the track, then running meth will allow us to get some Ignition in. ;)

Good to have you on Board though. :)

Ryan

Steve, I'm a little confused mate, you say you would only want a Turbo if it was a manual, but then you say you would consider an Auto NA, I personally think you should consider the Auto Turbo.

I actually have a twin turbo Auto Supra and a MX5 BBR Turbo, so I am in the same boat you are thinking of getting in, with those two cars I get the best of both worlds, the MX5 is more hard core and great down country lanes, and the Supra is fast and comfortable, at the end of the day they both put a smile on my face in very different ways, I would also keep your eunos for track days, and keep the supra as your comfy car, you might also find that an NA supra feels sluggish compared to your eunos.

I use a bog-standard NA manual as a daily driver. I find it quite practical. I sometimes go shopping with it, and can fit 5-6 carrier bags in the back, without folding the rear seats down.

They're usually solid motors, and (touch lots of wood) nothing much goes wrong with them. Unless you need to move a lot of stuff around, fuel costs are probably the most impractical thing about them. Driven sympathetically, expect mid to high 20s mpg.

I would say go for it. I'll echo the thoughts about more power: it's hard to get much more power out of it for sensible money.

HTH

Guest steve b
Hey Steve

I hope your going to keep your euno for track days as that thing is a right little weapon.

Will have to catch up soon and See if we can squeeze some more boost in. Also look at Maybe going WI with meth too keep things cooler on the track, then running meth will allow us to get some Ignition in. ;)

Good to have you on Board though. :)

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

definately keeping the Eunos, think my cage is at the post office waiting for me so essentially its done now :) maybe a touch more boost after peak torque towards the redline as it was happier futhur up the rev range.. not sure about WI another bottle to fill etc. I think a check on the standard 95ron map to make sure its ok with 95 in the car will be the next thing seeing the way the petrol price is going :blink:

Thinking of an n/a supra as I'm not even going to try and convince the Mrs another rwd monster power turbo cars the answer to a more relaxing winter daily driving :D The n/a sounds quite sedate which is why i'd consider an auto n/a, it really would be the non modded gental relaxing daily driver. A turbo for me would be wasted with an auto box as it'd have to go big single and be tracked. The bonus to the n/a's is they are dirt cheap as well to purchase and if I get to the point I want to make it faster, then it can be stripped out for free and the G3 out of the mx5 wired up to see if any more power can be gained. :D

p.s. looking at knock box's, thers no prices on their website,.. I see the middle of the range model has a 5v output like the Link knock block?

Guest steve b
I would also keep your eunos for track days, and keep the supra as your comfy car, you might also find that an NA supra feels sluggish compared to your eunos.

Absolutely, going to keep the Eunos, and yep an n/a sup will feel very slugish with 500kg more weight and 40bhp less than my Eunos. :)

Guest steve b
fuel costs are probably the most impractical thing about them. Driven sympathetically, expect mid to high 20s mpg.

Thats not too bad, over the last 6500 miles my Eunos has managed 30mpg on the head.

Do you know if they run rich? I have a sLINK G3 standalone ECU in the Eunos that is easily unplugged and a spare loom, so if they do then in theory it'll be able to be made more economical & slightly more powerful... although it'd go batch injection..

Best thing to do is speak to Dave mate as he is the UK dist of the knock box or i can get one for you.

I have actually hooked up a link g3 Lem to a n/a supra and ran really well the only thing i had trouble with was the strepper mtor control on the LEM is not brilliant compared to the Xlem but is a way round ;)

I have a contact steve who i can get the supra female ecu connectors so have got a few plug and play harness's for the supras at home. Good thing is the pinouts with n/a and TT are nearly identical.

Yes would have to be mulitpoint injection and batch ignition which is not great with the TT but fine for the N/A.

Im wondering if there is any more power to gain and will be testing soon.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

definately keeping the Eunos, think my cage is at the post office waiting for me so essentially its done now :) maybe a touch more boost after peak torque towards the redline as it was happier futhur up the rev range.. not sure about WI another bottle to fill etc. I think a check on the standard 95ron map to make sure its ok with 95 in the car will be the next thing seeing the way the petrol price is going :blink:

Thinking of an n/a supra as I'm not even going to try and convince the Mrs another rwd monster power turbo cars the answer to a more relaxing winter daily driving :D The n/a sounds quite sedate which is why i'd consider an auto n/a, it really would be the non modded gental relaxing daily driver. A turbo for me would be wasted with an auto box as it'd have to go big single and be tracked. The bonus to the n/a's is they are dirt cheap as well to purchase and if I get to the point I want to make it faster, then it can be stripped out for free and the G3 out of the mx5 wired up to see if any more power can be gained. :D

p.s. looking at knock box's, thers no prices on their website,.. I see the middle of the range model has a 5v output like the Link knock block?