The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a

Guest ninelives

hi all just got new n/a supra what sort of improvements on power can be made that actually do make a difference

Before you get flamed for not searching, the answer is that only minimal gains can be made. Second de-cat, fancy manifold are the best!

Keep the stock air box too!!

H.

Oh and Welcome B.T.W!!

A friend of mine once said " why not buy a n/a until you get used to the power then buy a turbo? "

Once he picked himself off the floor, he slapped his own face for what he had just said!

Every man to his own i guess but i'd always be thinking ' i should have just baught a turbo and i think my automatic gearbox has just gone?! :S '

Sorry dude/s

if you are looking towards the future then everyone is right. there is not a lot you can really to with a N/A apart from N/A T. i looked at that route and unless you got a big wad of cash...its not worth it......get a TT or TT transplant of jezz.

if this is your first powerful car then the N/A is a good choice. i drive a N/A and it took me a while to get used to it after driving a 1.6 civic!!! now im thinking of getting a TT. but i DO NOT regret getting an N/A at all .......Its like a TT with training wheels.

hope this helps:d

In answer to the original question - If you are after big power increases then you will not find them with tuning an N/A BUT if you are simply trying to make it more responsive then it's the same route as any normally aspirated car, less restrictive panel filter or induction kit (but be carefull about location and heatsoak, mine is re-located in the inner wing!), exhaust, decat, tubular manifold, camshafts etc.

These will release an extra few horses but nothing significant.

Like I say, if all your after is increased response and just small gains then continue........

theres a company in america ive been in touch with (will dig out the name)

they've done a couple of N/a project builds and there able to squese and extra 30-40 bhp with not to much done and not too much expence either (ie no machine work).think 1 of there n/as is running 275 and the other 267 or sumthing (dyno'd as well,not jst flim flam)...but after that your looking at heavy machine work ie. skiming porting and heavy cams etc (all of witch are not cheap and would prob be about the same as a Turbo conversion anyway), at least that what my reaserch has proven.

to be fair an extra 30-40 bhp is more than gonna make a differance..hell it will make a huge differance but only do it if you looking for a bit more poke and arnt too fused about it...if you want a beast of a supra a Turbos is the only way!

p.s i personally would only do a few basic things and wait till i want a turbo or get a v8 in it :)

(waits to hear the abuse of turbo fans)

The v8 conversion is a bit pathetic if you ask me.

I had an NA now i have a TT, i took it out the other day. still a very quick car. and was great fun.

why do you say that...has anyone done it??...personallly would love to see the look on sumones face when you roll up next to them on the strip and thier expecting to hear some turbo whine and a dump valve and hear a V8 roar instead....but thats just me :) im a big V8 fan so im not expecting many on hear to agree with me

why do you say that...has anyone done it??...personallly would love to see the look on sumones face when you roll up next to them on the strip and thier expecting to hear some turbo whine and a dump valve and hear a V8 roar instead....but thats just me :) im a big V8 fan so im not expecting many on hear to agree with me

thor racing did a v8 conversion using a 1uz-fe (v8 soarer engine)

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/THORThunder-191.asp

apparently its lighter and shorter so the c of g is improved and it develops about 260 bhp iirc

• 3 weeks later...