The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engines from USA - risk associated with it?

razza

As you know I'm needing an engine. There's possibilities that there may be delays in getting one from members here. However there are engines in stock in the US with literally everthing on them, pumps, turbos etc. for very good prices (especially considering the exchange rate)

The question is, what's the deal with customs etc.? The last thing I could do with is having to pay shed loads of money for import tax. Obviously something the size of an engine can't really be classed as a gift:innocent:

You pay import duty - the rate depends on what it is, dunno what engines are but it's usually around 5%. You pay that on the value of the goods plus the shipping. Then you pay VAT on the total with the import duty added on. So if your engine was worth £1000 say with £100 shipping with import duty it would be £1155 (if the rate was 5%), and with VAT too £1357. Plus a handling fee from the courier company probably.

Of course the rate you pay depends on the declared value of the goods on the shipping statement, but with an engine I doubt you're going to be able to persuade anyone it's worth £100!

$600 delivery, but engine could be $1650 including all ancilliaries and turbos, so with exchange rate at 2.1 it's not too bad. If 5% import tax and VAT could be looking at £1300-1400 all in....may have to have a think.

Can anyine confirm the import tax amount on a engine please:search:

because you have to give them your engine in return, which I may be able to salvage something from my own; plus that doesn't include turbo's or ancillaries. If getting an engine with lower mileage it would be handy to have the pumps etc. on it as they'll be in better condition than having mine swapped over, and therefore less likely to fail sometime soon...

Guest CoolsBlue

i got a box the size of a vending machine by air freight delivered for $400 US, then i had to pay £109 for import + duty tax and delivery, was sent via AIRMARINE on BA cargo, then heathrow customs took it from there

Guest CoolsBlue

a full body kit, box was very heavy, could work out approx the same for the engine, as they go by size and weight, engine will be heavier and smaller than my box, if you get what i mean

As an aside that ebay thing looks dodgy as heck :)

They say "SIMPLY CAR TESTING THE VEHICLE DOES NOT GURANTEE THE ENGINE WILL RUN BEYOND 6 MONTHS." and then go on to give a 3 months warranty. Right. Oh, on parts only, no labour or delivery. Great, if a bearing shell goes they give you £15 for a new one. And it's void if you don't leave positive feedback, which I'm fairly sure is skirting the boundaries of "acceptable business practice". And it needs an exchange unit. And they reckon they open each engine up and check all the clearances and so forth and fix them if they have trouble. Mmhmmm.

Bit pricey for a 'ancilliary less' engine, AND your old unit as exchange. :blink: Ours are £1200 complete, none of this farting around swapping parts.

unfortunately you don't have any though...:

I wouldn't use those ebay ones, too dodgy if you ask me, you exchange your engine and then what...suddenly it turns up as one of their guaranteed less than 30k miles engines...hmmm..:blink:

unfortunately you don't have any though...:

I wouldn't use those ebay ones, too dodgy if you ask me, you exchange your engine and then what...suddenly it turns up as one of their guaranteed less than 30k miles engines...hmmm..:blink:

I may be able to do you a deal on an Aristo engine i have in stock. You'd have to use your loom and sump late and pan though, as Aristo's are slightly different. Give us a call tomorrow if you like? Its a low miler too. :)

I always thought that imported second hand goods were VAT exempt? Or was it import duty exempt? Or was I dreaming this? :blink:

No, it depends on what it is - some things are exempt from VAT, second hand goods by their nature are not. Comics & magazines, for example, are exempt -

No, it depends on what it is - some things are exempt from VAT, second hand goods by their nature are not. Comics & magazines, for example, are exempt -

I see. Are refurbished goods import duty exempt then? :blink: If I were the poster, I would check with the C&E to find out the rules.