The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what a diffrance..

Guest chrismtaylorsup

Guest chrismtaylorsup

hi just fitted a set of lightened pulleys to my bpu supra:p and what a diffrance much quicker on pull off and they look wicked .:D

co2 spray bar kit next any 1 else got 1 ???:eyebrows:

Toyota spent a vast amount of money and decided to make the crank pully weigh that much for a reason.

? surly you mean the crank itself...never looked into it but surly the engine is balanced internally or with a balancer....does the engine balance come from the crank pully itself??

? surly you mean the crank itself...never looked into it but surly the engine is balanced internally or with a balancer....does the engine balance come from the crank pully itself??

It's part of a balanced system so if you change it, there is a knock on effect on the crank balance. From what most of the engine builders on here have said it's only worthwhile changing on engines with serious power output where daily/road use isn't a factor.

It's part of a balanced system so if you change it, there is a knock on effect on the crank balance. From what most of the engine builders on here have said it's only worthwhile changing on engines with serious power output where daily/road use isn't a factor.

really...first engine ive heard of like that...changed a few pully sets onto lighter ones on cars before and its not a prob beacuse its either internally balanced or has a harmonic balancer...just because its lighter doesnt actually change any balance as such as no center of gravity has been changed...its just lighter so less work...a crank is specifically balanced in areas to match the desighn of the engine or it is done via a harmonic balancer like the V8's i work on...a pully should not afect this or at least it is the first system ive come accross where a pully is desighned to also balnace the engine.

if i am wrong please let me know as i was planning to install my 3-way light and underdrive set on tuesday!

if this is the case then i will just install the other 2 and not the crank pully

p.s if it is a no no, why do greddy and unorthodox racing to name a few make them for both n/a and TT?

Have a search for Digsy's posts in tech regarding crank dampening, they're very informative.

p.s if it is a no no, why do greddy and unorthodox racing to name a few make them for both n/a and TT?

Because, as mentioned, in racing/extreme high power applications every weight saving makes a difference. Reliability and daily use are not a factor. Plus, it makes them money from people who buy parts because they're "uprated"... it's the same reason HKS sell those awful air filters.

just read up about it (dual mode damper pulley that toyota use) interesting design

good thing i found this out only 2 days before i changed it :)

p.s i can still change the other pullys for the alternator and bits to get the underdrive without problems correct.????????

they have no affect on the balance of the engine.....or is there sum wird deign for them as well lol