The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie after a bit of advice!

Guest cjj

Hello all!

I currently drive a gen 6 celica, (please don't hurt me!:blink:) and am recently fortunate enough to have got a new job which in a few months will allow me to buy my first Supra! (Been after one for years)

I've not driven one and not had a ride in one yet, but have been so happy with my celica and now that the money is going to be available, I'd really like to upgrade.

The question I have, is how would it compare to the celica? I have the 2 litre GT (non turbo) around 180 BHP and was contemplating possibly getting a Supra NA, but wasn't sure if I'd notice much more of a kick because of the weight to power ratio.

Any advice?

haha, I'm not sure you want pics of a celica on here sure? :)

I will get a couple for you and put them up over the weekend, and thanks for the welcome!

I'm not sure about the money, probably around the £5000 mark at a guess, I'm very new to Supras so not sure what that'll buy me, but hopefully something with 4 wheels at least!

haha, I'm not sure you want pics of a celica on here sure? :)

I will get a couple for you and put them up over the weekend, and thanks for the welcome!

I'm not sure about the money, probably around the £5000 mark at a guess, I'm very new to Supras so not sure what that'll buy me, but hopefully something with 4 wheels at least!

Mite get you a TT, but wouldnt be very good one for that? high milage poss?

If you upped it to 6-7K you would find your self a nice TT.

cool cool, thats good to know, my only worry is the insurance, I'm tryin gto hold off till my 25th birthday so the insurance company doesn't hang me out to dry. Have got 4 years protected no claims, so that should help a little.

cool cool, thats good to know, my only worry is the insurance, I'm tryin gto hold off till my 25th birthday so the insurance company doesn't hang me out to dry. Have got 4 years protected no claims, so that should help a little.

If you do a search on the forum there are quite a few threads on insurance. You could try the club insurers, Sky for a start. I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions shortly ;) Jspec's are usually more than UK, I believe as they are techinicaly 'Grey' imports. Some TT's are going at ridiculous prices now :( you may get lucky at £5,000 if you keep your eyes open :search:

Lx

never driven a gen6 but have had a gen4 gt4 and gen5 n/a. the gt4 had mighty grip much more than a supra (stock supra that is before anyone tells me how good they can grip!) you will notice a big increase in power in the supra but if it's power you are after you must get a TT. if it is just the look you are after get a N/A. :innocent:

UK models are cheapest to insure for no genuine reason, just is. good luck and a good buying tip is to look at the cars for sale on here as they will usually be much loved examples.

Interesting, just had a perspective quote from the direct line website for a TT for when I turn 25 and it looks like it'll be weighing in at around £800. Not too bad!

If its worth saving for the TT I'll wait a few extra months. Fortunately I only have myself to worry about financially (and the girlfriend - which is a considerable drain at the best of times on the finances ;) ) but it sounds to me like I might wait and learn as much as I can in the mean time! Besides, the celica is still fun, handles really well, just lacks a bit of poke!

Hello all!

I currently drive a gen 6 celica, (please don't hurt me!:blink:) and am recently fortunate enough to have got a new job which in a few months will allow me to buy my first Supra! (Been after one for years)

I've not driven one and not had a ride in one yet, but have been so happy with my celica and now that the money is going to be available, I'd really like to upgrade.

The question I have, is how would it compare to the celica? I have the 2 litre GT (non turbo) around 180 BHP and was contemplating possibly getting a Supra NA, but wasn't sure if I'd notice much more of a kick because of the weight to power ratio.

Any advice?

Ive gone from a gen 6 celica st202 to an NA supra. I loved the celica but the quality of the supra is far superior in my opinion. You will notice a better power also. I had a spirited drive with a friend in his celica. The supra was always the better car;)