The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Plugs and leads???? Yes I'm Blonde!!

Guest joolzzbunny

Guest joolzzbunny

Hi

Just got my car back from the garage today after getting a new timing belt fitted, they had to take out my air con to do this! is that normal? now i need to pay to get it re-gased! They also said i need new plugs and leads. They quoted me £17 each for spark plugs (I need 6!) and £60 for the leads! Is this about right or can i get them cheaper somewhere else? Help!!!!

Thanks Joolzz

The leads are cheap, the plugs are expensive but they may be iridiums (ask the garage) as you want to replace them on a n/a as little as possible

Normally Aspirated

NGK - Standard - BKR5ES-11 (2382) - gap 1.1mm

NGK - V-Power - BKR5EYA-11 (2526) - gap 1.1mm

NGK - G-Power Platinum - BKR5EGP (7090) - gap 1.1mm

NGK -Laser Platinum - BKR5EP-11 ( 3440) -gap 1.1mm

NGK -OE Laser Iridium - IFR5T11 (4996) - gap 1.1mm

NGK - Iridium IX - BKR5EIX-11 (5464) - gap 1.1mm

Denso Platinum - PK16R11 - gap 1.1mm

Guest joolzzbunny

Hi

The leads are cheap? Really? What do they do anyway? are they that important to change with the plugs? The car is chugging a bit when going slow (which i dont do very often!) but would they fix the problem?

Thanks for your replies, Joolzz

Why? What are they and what do they do?

The rotor arm and distributor cap are all perishable items that are along with the plugs and leads part of the ignition system, if the leads need replacing you can pretty much say the rotor arm and cap must never have been replaced, it's like having a chain with weak links in it and only replacing a few links with new ones.:)

Hi

The leads are cheap? Really? What do they do anyway? are they that important to change with the plugs? The car is chugging a bit when going slow (which i dont do very often!) but would they fix the problem?

Thanks for your replies, Joolzz

The leads connect your distributor to your spark plugs caps (which are pushed onto your spark plugs). Hence - they carry the "spark" from your distributor caps to your spark plugs. If the leads break down (which they can with age) the plug may fail to fire or fire at the wrong time. The insulation can break down as well which can cause voltage leakage (again causing problems with sparking, but also interference with other electrical systems).

Why? What are they and what do they do?

The distributor caps control when the spark is sent to each plug. The rotor arm spins in the centre and the tip makes contact with each plug lead contact - hence causing the plug to fire. The rotor arm tip and the contacts in the distributor cap wear, causing misfires.