The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More quiet exhausts...

Dash Rendar

I've just taken ownership of a big single with a Boostlogic exhaust. It sounds awesome, but it's too loud for me on motorway cruising, as I suffer from migraines. It's acceptable with the baffle, but I hear that using a baffle for prolonged periods on high-boost cars can cause overheating and increased det. Plus, it costs me about 0.1 bar of boost or more.

So, I've been looking at quieter exhausts. What I want is something that is quiet on motorway cruising, but still sounds nice and meaty round town. I'm not sure if such a thing exists.

I was looking at the Tanabe Touring, which is supposed to be the quietest, but I'm worried it will sound too 'stock', even with the single setup.

I'm also looking at the SuperDragger, but I've been advised by Phoenix that they do hang quite low, and I have enough trouble with speed bumps.

I was wondering if the Tanabe Super Medalion Hyper Spec (the 'street performance' one) would be a good compromise, as the silencer looks pretty large still.

Has anyone got the Tanabe SM Hyper? Has anyone ever compared it to the Touring?

How do these compare to the SuperDragger?

And is a SuperDragger without a baffle (the removable type) quieter than a BL with a baffle in?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, I did notice it the other day. Is it a cat-back straight-through exhaust? Someone suggested to me that it might be a bit too restrictive?

Well its cat back and has only one silencer.Ben san posted pics on the for sale site.Fit is as you would expect of a Toyota,perfect.As ever it all depends on what you need.By all means drop by and have a look.

When I converted to a single turbo I fitted a GReddy Ti-R exhaust, I chose this as it is one of the few aftermarket road legal exhausts available for the Supra in Japan. It is rated at 91db (that'll be on a stock Supra with cats fitted). It has 2 silencers, is very light (4.7kg) and the quality is superb.

Very happy with the results, not too noisy and has a nice note to it when you push the go pedal. I have a sound clip of it here.

I have the same exhaust as you (4"?), and had the same reaction on long journies.

Gaz's fabricators in newcastle knocked me up a superb massive back box which killed the majority of the noise, but I still get a bit of drone.

I also want to catch up with Michel Lane who had a butterfly valve so I heard..

When I converted to a single turbo I fitted a GReddy Ti-R exhaust, I chose this as it is one of the few aftermarket road legal exhausts available for the Supra in Japan. It is rated at 91db (that'll be on a stock Supra with cats fitted). It has 2 silencers, is very light (4.7kg) and the quality is superb.

Very happy with the results, not too noisy and has a nice note to it when you push the go pedal. I have a sound clip of it here.

Now that's lovely. Short listed. :)

Well, this is my shortlist so far, together with some notes compiled from this and various other threads...

* Tanabe Super Medallion Touring

Probably the quiestest, very little restriction, but maybe sounds too mild?

* Tanabe Super Mediallion Hyper

Louder than the Touring but quieter than the Racing; possibly a good compromise, but this exhaust is a bit of an unknown. The silencer does look nice and chunky though. I've still yet to find anyone that actually has one.

* Blitz Nur RX

Definitely a lot quieter than the Nur, but I've been told it's quite restrictive (?) and hangs very low. On the other hand, I had a Nur Type R on my old car and that wasn't too low. Is this one lower?

* HKS SuperDragger

Sounds fairly stock-ish, but still quite meaty. Again, I'm told one of the mountings can hang very low. Also, unless you get a 2006 or newer one, they rust to pieces within a few years. (Only the new ones are SS.)

* GReddy Ti-R

Don't really know much about this, except Nic likes 'em and it does sound quite nice, if the sound clip is anything to go by. I think it's got a nicer tone that the Nur RX and is less 'droney'.

* TRD Exhaust

Don't know too much about this one either, but I'm told it's quiet. And it's TRD... Can't be bad, right?

I've also read posts where people have changed exhausts on decatted cars and subsequently lost loads of boost. Am I likely to find this problem, or is this a non-issue with the boost controller? (I have noticed a drop in boost with the removable baffle in, even with the boost controller set to 1.4 bar.)

Will changing from a 4-inch BL to a 3-inch (like all of the above are) have any significant effect? Could it potentially mean remapping?

i have owned both the dragger and the BL 4", the dragger is quieter than the BL with the baffle in (then again a drainpipe would be as well lol) dont worry to much about longevity of the dragger mine is nearly 8 years old and has just about come to the end of the line, in my opinion it is the best compromise of noise and performance and probably the quietest "performance" exhaust you can buy, the only down side is they do hang down a bit

I was thinking of around 450 for the full system. It's actually only 10 months old, although I've had four PMs for it already!

I'm currently having discussions about a possible swap/part-exchange for a quieter exhaust. I'm hoping this goes through, as if I have to buy another exhaust and then sell mine, I don't know where I would store mine, and I don't know how I would transport the one I would buy. I mean... they don't exactly fit in the boot, do they!!