The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY kit fitting

Daston

Ok guys my border II kit should be here today so planning on fitting it myself and then taking it to a local spray booth (who are good family friends). For you guys who have fitted their own kits what sort of tools do you need and what problems did you have?

The kit includes

Front Splitter

Front Fenders

Side Skirts

Rear Bumper

Rear Wing

Bonnet

It all depends on whether the kit is designed to fitted as per the std type, or does it need to be blended in with filler/fibreglass? you will need a drill, grinder with 80 grit flap wheel is handy for trimming, a block and plenty of production paper and wet & dry, you may or may not need a tube of Sickaflex 221, if the kit has no fixings you may also need to make your own, ie mark and fibreglass in some captive nuts, the list goes on but thats a start, until you can give some more info.

couple of tips from me...

you can bend the fiberglass parts into a better position if necessary (one of my spats had a corner which bent out a bit) just heat up the area with a hair dryer and bend it into the position you want and hold for a minute.

Careful when screwing into fiberglass. make sure your holes are the correctly drilled size and don't over tighten as it can damage the panel easily

and an obvious one! when you put panels on the car remember to screw them on before you go driving. other wise like me you'll see in my case a spat flying 20 feet in the air in the rear view mirror lol