The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what to buy - TT or N/A ?

Guest chrisbirch

Guest chrisbirch

This will be my first supra and as you probly all know this has come up in threads lots of times already. (Just need a bit of extra persuasion)

I would prefer going for a stock jspec auto TT (Purely for performance and ability to destroy most BMW's) but the N/A is also quick and cheaper to buy! Is there that much difference in running costs and reliability... someone please tell me what to do!

where do you start!!! :D

there are loads of pros and cons to both

TT is much faster, easy to tune up over 400bhp BUT more expensive to buy, run, insure etc

N/a is slower but still quick, can get a lot more for your nuggets, and prob lower mileage for less, plus cheaper to insure, run etc.

depends on what u want out of the car, and your budget and kitty for running costs... ;)

This will be my first supra and as you probly all know this has come up in threads lots of times already. (Just need a bit of extra persuasion)

I would prefer going for a stock jspec auto TT (Purely for performance and ability to destroy most BMW's) but the N/A is also quick and cheaper to buy! Is there that much difference in running costs and reliability... someone please tell me what to do!

Bying a NA is like bying ketchup..................

Nothing compares to the REAL Heinz tomato ketchup, but there are also other sour, horrid, less exciting brands out there ;)

it all depends on what car you had before i suppose. to jump straight into a tt from a fiesta (for example) aint too good as a few members on here have done similar and ended up smashing them. personally i would get a n/a run it for a year or so then upgrade to a tt? imo :)

Test drive both, it's the only way to decide. There's more opinions on here than you can shake a stick at. Bear in mind that a stock auto TT shouldn't be *that* expensive. Also, there's quite a few modern hot hatches out there that will give the NA a run for its money.

PS I have an NA and I'm very happy with it. Everyone's got different needs from their car.

Yeah depends what you want, as I wanted a flashy looking car (supra) that had reasonable performance and a car I could do 50+ miles a day in for work :) So I went for the na the performance isnt bad at all, you cant drive fast nowa days without getting caught so the performance does me :) Its a lovely car and i'm happy nearly a year later with my na.... Yes a TT would be ace but to be honest just for the noise of the turbo's lol :)

Guest chrisbirch

to be honest a N/A would be quick enough for my style of driving but I've wanted a supra since I was 12, so what the hell !

If the car is well maintained/serviced a stock TT shouldn't give any real trouble right? Lets face it these cars are not driven by your usual chavs as found in boy'd up fiesta's etc. (Though we all have to start somewhere I guess)

to be honest a N/A would be quick enough for my style of driving but I've wanted a supra since I was 12, so what the hell !

If the car is well maintained/serviced a stock TT shouldn't give any real trouble right? Lets face it these cars are not driven by your usual chavs as found in boy'd up fiesta's etc. (Though we all have to start somewhere I guess)

I have baugth a TT about 3 months ago - Ive just finished getting in every fluid you can. Im changing the lot this winter.

Mine was a Jspec TT Manual version, so Im doing all this work now so i can enjoy her for a few years with ease of mind. Im also replacing the drive belt and cam belt. Shes having a face job with a new bumper and seats while im at it.

Mine did not have alot of service history, hence the work im going to do to her now. If you find the right one, then just spend a lil bit on her for your own piece of mind :)

In your original post, your refer to reliability....

In my opinion, although a well looked after TT shouldn't give too many problems (Toyota build etc), bear in mind the NA has the same engine but without the tubbies. Thus, meaning less stresses and strains and the engine (for an NA) could be described my some as being 'over-engineered'

I had an N/A for years and was extremely happy with it....

But... there was always that niggling feeling in the back of my mind that I wanted just that bit more power. And it didn't help that when ever you go to a meet, one of the very first questions you get asked is 'is it a turbo?' and then you have to say no its an N/A.

Few months and i'll be getting a turbo... cant wait..!!

I dont get asked that, probably twice since i've had the car, i get oh its an auto comments more lol :) Then once i've taken them out in her everybody likes it, dont matter if its a turbo or not :) If I was to start again which one would I go for, i'd still be happy for an na as long as the bodywork and car was clean etc... The cars are getting old so you need to be carefull what your buying :)

Guest chrisbirch
Where is Essex are you? ever been in a TT?

cheers Tom, im gonna have to come to a meet and speak to a few people I think...cheers for the offer

bear in mind the NA has the same engine but without the tubbies. Thus, meaning less stresses and strains and the engine (for an NA) could be described my some as being 'over-engineered'

The N/A And TT have completely different engines dont they?

I thought that was the main reason for a n/a to turbo conversion being so time consuming and difficult.

The N/A And TT have completely different engines dont they?

I thought that was the main reason for a n/a to turbo conversion being so time consuming and difficult.

Same bottom end (I think) but some different internals (again, I think). They have slightly different compression ratios. Someone more knowledgable about this than me will be along soon....

NA > T conversion is tricky because turbos are not bolt-on accessories. The NA and TT engines are both 2JZ, but they still have slightly different parts (even if only in shape and location) that make it tricky to add turbos on later. I imagine the turbo'd NA engine would need a new or upgraded ECU to make it work as well. It's all those little things that make conversion tricky.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

If it's your 1st supra I would say go for an N/A over the TT.

Most of all the N/A's are more reliable and less expensive to run than the TT, you still get good performance and insurance is much cheaper (depending on your personal circumstances). You will still get lots of admiration and attention with the N/A, plus you have the oppotunity to learn abit more about Supra before getting a TT by doing some upgrades and modifications.

Then again.... if you want to have more power and have lots of spare cash and dont mind not driving the car everyday then go for a TT just try and find a descent one...dont rush.

My Supra N/A is for sale currently...if your interested?

If you are tempted by a TT (for the power) which your first post says you are - then you will always be disappointed with the NA because it's not what you want.

I think you should buy a TT - if you don't, I think you'll regret it and be selling the NA within a year or so anyway.

I'm not disputing that at all, and I will get a TT at some point coz I just love em....but it's down to personal circumstance, timing and money.

Owning the N/A has opened my eyes to the TT and have learned a great deal more about them and I do not regret buying the N/A at all and if I had the option to, I would not sell my N/A at all. Just that Im starting a new job/business very soon and it's not suitable for my work, I cant go visiting clients with this beast.

Friendly Plug ;)

An NA will in the long run be more reliable due to less stress unless your a foot to the floor merchant, however If your swayed by get up n go, by a TT, or u may eventually regret it, NA's are quick but if later u get a ride in a TT u will probably want one. Good advice earlier about not pushing take your time & get a good one