The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BIG PORBLEM PEOPLE - Crank pulley :(

SpeedyAndy

Hey all,

Can any one help me out on this ??

me and me mate ( who owners a supra N/a Import ) was driving along saturday and we heard the fan belt slipping, so we pulled over and parked up with a couple of mates but then when we went to move on it got worse and worse ( we didnt even move we only started the engine). Next thing you know i poped the bonnet and there was no belt.. i throught the belt had snaped but it hadn't, It was the bottem pulley.. - the aa sed its the crank pulley and timing will have to be re-done and went on..

what / how / when ..etc lol..

can some one explain for me to be able to fix it ??

Many Thanks People!!

many thank people..

one question - ive had a quick look at the hyperlink etc... but it just dont talk simple lol..

Will i be able just to put a new pulley and new belt and there you go - sorted ?? or will it have to go into a garage ?

Or is it best just to get it to a garage and let them do it?? just i dnt want to be paying shit loads like dave F has if it can be done with out a garage costs lol..

I remember Costas (fastisnice) said to buy a certain crank pulley...the original Toyota one is made out of two parts and the one he mentioned is one piece, nice and solid...etc...do a search.

That’s absolutely incorrect. The engine is designed and balanced for a dampened pulley so stick to the stock one.

Hey Andy, is it wew's supra that you're on about? Shame I'm overseas or I'd pop round and help. Anyway, thought he'd have upgraded to a TT by now ;)

If you want to save a few quid, give Ibrar a shout on here (Tyrelogic) - he may have a good quality 2nd hand pulley. He'll probably be able to recommend someone to do the work, as I don't think he dabbles with the engine side of things any more.

Happened to mine just after I had the cambelt changed, if I remember correctly it cost me around £250-£300 to get sorted. Most of the cost was the actual pulley.

That scenario has been common in the past - it tends to be because the garage has used heat to get the pulley off and so in the process destroyed the rubber like 'damper' part of it. IMO the garage should have footed the bill as a result.

You can use a new OEM Toyota one which will give you a number of years service again (buying and fitting a used one is a false economy IMO) or your other option is a still dampened aftermarket pulley - Boostlogic, ATi etc. These all tend to be lighter weight and are marketed as being able to stand the test of time rather than failing like the OEM part.

Cheers,

Brian.