The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hydrogen

NeoFuture

No! nos should be injected via a controller and with more fuel, nos only adds extra oxygen which in turn allows extra fuel to be burnt = more power, it has nothing to do with the ECU.

Correct, it also lowers the charge tempreature dramatically which helps get round the detonation issue (for a short while anyway)...

The stock ECU and lambda sensor is setup to expect the correct ratio for petrol and air (not other chemicals)...

Never mind all of that, im pretty sure that it takes a shit load of energy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen.

Think how much energy it takes to boil water. Thats just converting it from liquid to vapour. Physically breaking the hydrogen oxygen bond requires loads more energy (i think)

I would get out my chemistry degree books and work it out, but i cant be arsed (and probably wouldent be able to work it out anyway after all this time out of uni).

The extra weight in batteries, drain from a massive alternator and weight in water would likley override all the benefits (thats why Ford, Vauxhall etc havent done it already)

Guest Geryatrix

The only problem with using electrolysis to produce the Hydrogen and Oxygen is that it uses more energy to produce the gas than the gas will give when burnt.

In order to use the system you would need the battery pack off a milk-float in the boot which would take the edge off the Supra's performance.

Obviously two minds with a single thought.

I'm sure theories like this have been tested and engines produced.... but the big oil companies either buy up the patents for stupid money or they kill off the people involved...... or is this just me going down one of these conspiracy routes ?? ha ha

Would be nice though to run a Supra engine on water...... I'd be able to laugh my ar$e off at Gordon Brown and his theiving tax grabbing cabinet !

(But then they'll tax water at 80%)

It's utter BS I'm afraid. To see why, let's see how much air is going through the engine at, say 6000rpm at 1BAR boost. That would be:

3000cc x 6000rpm / 2( because there's 1 intake stroker per 2 revs) / 60.

That would be 150 litres, and because we're at 1 BAR that would be 300 litres of air every second (actually a bit less as that assumes 100%VE). The feeble amout of hydrogren produced by this thing would be totally lost in that lot.

And that's even without the fact that as has been said, it takes more energy to extract hydrogen and oxygen than you get from burning it.

So basically, it's total bollocks... ;)