The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back! but with a problem :(

jaw

I'm fully paid up now :D

but on the downside, I have a problem! I recently bought a TT as shown on other thread, from someone on this forum, it was all well, but I'm having problems now! I need to sell on as I have to move out now, and will be buying an aerotop n/a in replacement, but today, the supra erupted in steam :'(

Opened the bonnet, and a quick view showed steam pouring from the back of the block, I couldnt tell where from, and temperature sky rocketed, happened when stationary. I turned off immediatley, and moved it to a parking space. All coolant had gone - I had some in the car spare though so topped up..

I then went to drive home, and the temp rose again. Not as much steam as I wasnt driving for as long.

There has been no other indication prior to this, no white engine smoke other than condensation on start up, no mayo in the oil from what I can see, no leaks :( any one have any ideas? It's my typical luck, had it since august, need to sell to move out and this happens!!! If it's a head gasket gone, I'll have to take it off the road till I have the money which I really want to avoid :(

many thanks

two? one at the front and then another behind the fan further up the engine. first is a plastic flip off one with 'coolant' written on it, on what I thought was the expansion tank, but it's connected to the second which is a metal twist off cap

the thing is, there was no steam coming from either cap :( so even if it's the cause, I don't think it was what I was seeing? I hadn't checked coolant for well over a week though, so I have no idea how quickly this loss was.. It's so frustrating as I've had it for so little time and the only time it's started to play up is now :(

I would've when it failled? that said, I may well have, there was a lot of steam, however when I tried again it seemed to be seaping out of the rear of the engine, It looked like a pipe had split but now not so sure. Temperature rises quickly, I need to get it home today - only a 2 minute drive, will this be ok?? it wont hit the red in these two minutes, so I can have a better look.

also if anyone has an idea what would need doing i'd be grateful - I'm guessing I'm in for a hefty bill though :(

In 2months it's needed a starter motor and whatever's wrong now, and I'm about to MOT it, all so I can then sell it! at least my concience will be happy knowing i've fixed any major issues before I sell!

Thanks trick, am glad you said that, as I had the feeling it came from a pipe, so fingers crossed - I'll check tonight if it's light enough. do you know where the pipe runs from and to?

cheers

It comes from the heater matrix, and drops down the back of the engine behind the exhaust cam. It connects up to the water return hard pipe that runs under the turbos. Its quite hard to see and an even bigger pita to remove, but you should be able to see if its wet.

It comes from the heater matrix, and drops down the back of the engine behind the exhaust cam. It connects up to the water return hard pipe that runs under the turbos. Its quite hard to see and an even bigger pita to remove, but you should be able to see if its wet.

I would say that to, had mine go a little while ago.

It's a little too dark so unless I get some good light, I'll have to assess in the morning - out of interest, what did it cost you guys to sort the problem? is it diyable enough?

Cheers:)

edit: I think I've located the hose that split - it's hissing away but if I give it a squeze this hissing stops. I suppose I hadn't noticed it when it had started before so perhaps it got up to a higher temp hence all the steam. Can't see how to get to the split, but it appears to be closer to the top.There shouldnt be any concequencial damage if this is the case as once up to heat the engine was shut down, and it occurred from cold so oil temp wouldnt have been phenomenal...