The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Technocraft built TRD3000GT

Jellybean

Hey does anybody know the history assoicatied with the Toyota technocraft built versions, I know you can buy the KIT Seperate.

How many where built?

How can you verify it originality?, mine has No.26 on TRD VIN Plate

All I can find is info about the MR2 TRD2000GT

In 1998, Toyota Racing Development [2] offered an official kit body conversion and tuning program for MR2 owners to transform their existing SW20 MR2 into a widebody TRD2000GT kit replica car. This was to pay homage to the wins by their TRD2000GTs in the GT-C Japanese racing series, the TRD2000GT racing series cars were based on the SW20 floorpan. Toyota also did the same with their Supra Twin Turbo model, offering a conversion service to transform these cars into a TRD3000GT[3].

In order to ensure exclusivity, a high price tag was charged and total of just 35 factory car conversions were completed by Toyota Technocraft Ltd.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Info on both cars is very vague in English language. For the MR2's 20 were built from bare shells and 15 were retro-fitted older cars, I'd assume TT would have offered the same deal for the Supra versions. IIrc the MR2's came with the TRD wide body kit, different suspension arms and a choice of correctly sized wheels (no spacers) and an options on the HKS catalogue- some Rev1's had the basic kit, some Rev5's were a full-house lottery win wishlist full of goodies, again I suspect the same deal was offered for the Supra.

I seem to able to get MR2 Info, theres nothing for the Supra and from what I have found it is very vague and alot of speculation, it really is frustrating hopefully one of the members knows

Ask Jurgen on here, I know he sourced one for someone once.....;) He might know some more on then......

Good Question, I ask Miguel to check. The car is still in Japan, where is the badge normally located inside the car, glove box area etc?

Hey guys I asked Miguel and this is what he got back with

Miguels Response:

"Thanks for your e-mails over the weekend. The previous owner’s had the car for 5 years during which he had Toyota Technocraft fit the kit. He was a fastidious sort (Car’s virtually unmarked) so has kept all sorts of receipts, manuals, etc. for the car, inclusive of which I noticed a receipt for the fitting of the kit by TRD. So this combined with the plaque next to the VIN plate clearly proves this is a genuine TRD converted car, rest assured."

this one is a converted one,, the genuine ones built have a badge inside the car too...

still nice car even tough its not a original built from new trd car..

did you pay TRD money or TRD converted money ?

To be honest I dont think there is enough info out there to clearly state how you identify these cars and the volume built.

But what is the difference if the car is TRD Built or converted, is that not the same thing?? I taught they where all returned to TRD Factory because the whole reason behind the car was to pay homage to the wins in the GT-C Japanese racing series

Toyota Technocraft Website:

"In order to ensure exclusivity, a high price tag was charged and total of just 35 factory car conversions were completed by Toyota Technocraft Ltd. "

Seriously theres no need to imply Miguel is ripping me off, sure I can go on Ebay and get a TRD Premier Badge. The receipt/TRD Documents of Authenticity from TRD Factory and VIN are clear enough for me to authenicate the Car is a genuine TRD Product.

Toyota Technocraft Website:

"In order to ensure exclusivity, a high price tag was charged and total of just 35 factory car conversions were completed by Toyota Technocraft Ltd. "

Where is that quote from? Link?

Is it referring to the Supra TRD3000GT or the MR2 TRD2000GT?

Where is that quote from? Link?

Is it referring to the Supra TRD3000GT or the MR2 TRD2000GT?

This is the full text, as I read it it refers to both

SW20 TRD2000GT - it is under this heading

In 1998, Toyota Racing Development [2] offered an official kit body conversion and tuning program for MR2 owners to transform their existing SW20 MR2 into a widebody TRD2000GT kit replica car. This was to pay homage to the wins by their TRD2000GTs in the GT-C Japanese racing series, the TRD2000GT racing series cars were based on the SW20 floorpan. Toyota also did the same with their Supra Twin Turbo model, offering a conversion service to transform these cars into a TRD3000GT [3].

In order to ensure exclusivity, a high price tag was charged and total of just 35 factory car conversions were completed by Toyota Technocraft Ltd. Each official Technocraft car converted was made using lightweight fibreglass components (in place of heavy steel original parts: front fenders, trunk lid extension, rear quarter panels, gas door, front and rear bumpers, 3-piece wing) and re-classified as completely new cars (with their own specially numbered TRD vin plate riveted to the body to indicate their authenticity and rarity).

Only 3 complete Toyota Technocraft Ltd. cars are known to have been shipped into Europe with only 10 complete cars allocated to TRD USA for the entire American market. This makes these officially built Toyota Technocraft Ltd. The car track width is extended and body dimensions dramatically changing the cars overall visuals, giving the car a "supercar" look, and also better handling and weight reduction. Very little is known about these cars outside of Japan.

Puzzling Question

Also another point I an puzzled about is the part Aero bonnet hood 53311-JA800 associated with the kit does not accept the TRD Strut Brace, this is indicated on TRD Website but I see cars on Web claim to be authentic with the Strut Brace fitted but why would TRD say it doesnt fit???? Just I was wondering why my car didnt have one

TRD SITE : SUPRA JZA80 Front

2JZ-GTE exclusive 53607-JA810 H 26,000 2-point support, steel Can't install with Aero Hood (53311-JA800)

Link: http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_towerbar.html

And there is only one aero hood on the Officaial TRD Site

Seriously theres no need to imply Miguel is ripping me off, sure I can go on Ebay and get a TRD Premier Badge. The receipt/TRD Documents of Authenticity from TRD Factory and VIN are clear enough for me to authenicate the Car is a genuine TRD Product.

who said he is ripping you off ?

the car is trd built it has the vin there so not sure why your worried for..

all people are aksing is the prices, and what you paid thats got nothing to do with me..if you feel ripped off then you wouldnt be worried and asking if its genuine.

it has the vin there..

my white TRD and my black TRD both had vins but the white one was higher spec and looked like a factry build from new but black one was converted..

this one is a converted one,, the genuine ones built have a badge inside the car too...

still nice car even tough its not a original built from new trd car..

did you pay TRD money or TRD converted money ?

Jurgen, I read the quote above as implying I am being taking for a ride, sorry if I took it out of context.

I not worried about the autenticity of my car but I would just like to get backgorund about the car, just because I am curious how many where built, if just for bragging rights

Jurgen, I read the quote above as implying I am being taking for a ride, sorry if I took it out of context.

I not worried about the autenticity of my car but I would just like to get backgorund about the car, just because I am curious how many where built, if just for bragging rights

no worries mate its tongue in cheek comment.

but be nice to know if they made trd from day 1 or they are all converted models..

i might of sold my black one too cheap as it was a converted model.(and i am under impression it was not proper one)

no worries mate its tongue in cheek comment.

but be nice to know if they made trd from day 1 or they are all converted models..

i might of sold my black one too cheap as it was a converted model.(and i am under impression it was not proper one)

To be honest from what I have come across and I have only being looking on the web for last week,

TRD Genuine Car 3000GT--

Is a car taken by consumer to TRD USA or Technocraft (Car maybe new or used) for an orginal TRD3000GT body kit to be fitted,TRD can fit any extras at a cost, plus you get TRD VIN Plate numbered

(It would be interesting to see if your could get this as a factory option when buying the car but I really doubth it), as it was to pay homage to Japanese Race wins, so spure of the moment tribute and I think TRD is considered seperate entity to Toyota like Mugen to Honda, but like Mugen maybe you can buy the car directly from TRD, I think we only know by the quality of the car, you can always tell a car when it does not have a factory finish unless a huge over haul was done

But if it was done by TRD, are not all cars conversions, because the car arrives at there shop in stock form whether it is new or 10 years old

TRD 3000GT not Genuine

Consumer purchases a TRD Genuine kit -- Gets local body shop to fit not Technocraft or TRD USA

(It is harsh considering how price the Kit is)

Question

It would be interesting to know if I bought an offical TRD3000GT kit from TRD Technocraft if u get a TRD VIN Plate to establish the KIT is authentic or does the VIN Plate establish TRD USA or TRD Technocraft installed and supplied the kit

If the latter (the VIN Plate establish TRD USA or TRD Technocraft installed and supplied the kit) we can safely establish a car is Authentic

To be honest from what I have come across and I have only being looking on the web for last week,

TRD Genuine Car 3000GT--

Is a car taken by consumer to TRD USA or Technocraft (Car maybe new or used) for an orginal TRD3000GT body kit to be fitted,TRD can fit any extras at a cost, plus you get TRD VIN Plate numbered

(It would be interesting to see if your could get this as a factory option when buying the car but I really doubth it), as it was to pay homage to Japanese Race wins, so spure of the moment tribute and I think TRD is considered seperate entity to Toyota like Mugen to Honda, but like Mugen maybe you can buy the car directly from TRD, I think we only know by the quality of the car, you can always tell a car when it does not have a factory finish unless a huge over haul was done

But if it was done by TRD, are not all cars conversions, because the car arrives at there shop in stock form whether it is new or 10 years old

TRD 3000GT not Genuine

Consumer purchases a TRD Genuine kit -- Gets local body shop to fit not Technocraft or TRD USA

(It is harsh considering how price the Kit is)

Question

It would be interesting to know if I bought an offical TRD3000GT kit from TRD Technocraft if u get a TRD VIN Plate to establish the KIT is authentic or does the VIN Plate establish TRD USA or TRD Technocraft installed and supplied the kit

If the latter (the VIN Plate establish TRD USA or TRD Technocraft installed and supplied the kit) we can safely establish a car is Authentic

be nice to know am in japan next month and i will ask toyota...

i might have sold my black one too cheap then :(

I believe that you only get the TRD VIN plate if they fit the kit. Also, if the car was fitted with the kit from new the VIN plate number starts with JA800-0xxx

and JZA80-xx for the retrofitted ones.

am pretty sure this is what i had heard hence thinking the white one was a genuine one from new and the others are factory build afterwards by the owners

am pretty sure this is what i had heard hence thinking the white one was a genuine one from new and the others are factory build afterwards by the owners

When u say Factory, do you mean TRD fit the KIT or a third party tuning shop

We will get to the bottom of this conundrum, I dont know about anybody else but it is starting to annoy me like when u cant remeber a name of something and its on the tip of your tongue

I believe that you only get the TRD VIN plate if they fit the kit. Also, if the car was fitted with the kit from new the VIN plate number starts with JA800-0xxx

and JZA80-xx for the retrofitted ones.

Hi Jurgen, Jake

I was compared your white Supras VIN Plate to my VIN Plate, there are two scenarios

The one I dont like

• Your car started off from New as GT3000 and mine was uprated later on

OR

The VIN Plates are different (JA800-0xxx compared to JZA80-xx) so TRD can differenciate between a TRD Technocraft (Japan) built car and a TRD USA Built car, which also makes sense

I think we need to establish if you could buy a new car with the Kit on or where they all genuine TRD cars retrofitted by the TRD branches (TRD Technocraft (Japan), TRD USA), hopefully Jurgen can get some answers on his trip to Japan!!!

But if your car is bought off show room floor with TRD300GT or is later rebuilt by TRD Technocraft does this make your car non Genuine, at the end of the day do the two cars not go through the same process, would the retrofitted car not be considered newer because it has newer parts?

I think once your car is put together by TRD Technocraft or TRD USA they are Genuine cars, a non genuine car is one that had a third party Body shop fit the Kit.