The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox fluid advise

Chris and Alana

Well I have looked into this and all the previous threads I could find all recommended Toyota type 4 auto transmission fluid. To cut a story short I went to my local toyota dealer this morning just to be told they dont sell the stuff and that any ATF fluid would do. I told the guy that I didnt know what was in there to start with but it would probably be type2 or type4 and I told him that I heard type3 doesnt mix very well. He then ploded away and came back and said the same thing (any ATF will do) and then told me that they just use BP stuff and that they have had a few supra's in before and used that stuff and all was good (which may be worrying) anyway, is there any alternative to type4 that doesnt cost the earth? All I want to do is change the 2L's in the sump to give a bit of a re-fresh if you like. Would any odf the castrol ATF's be ok (something I can just pick up at halfords)

I went to my local toyota and the same thing happened. "any atf will be ok" he said. I was changing the autobox so all the fluid was drained and needed refilling. So anyway after a bit of thought I decided to just go with what they said. That was back in May, and everything is fine up to press :)

If it does cause some damage, a new autobox is around £200-ish so no REALLY big deal tbh