The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox... Should i be worried?

Sparky

Evening all.

Ive got a 6speed N/a. Just had my new exhaust (Miami Gt) fitted and at the same time I noticed that theres alot of black cruddy oil around the gearbox. Not dripping just all around likes its leaked once before!:blink:

What do you think is the best course of action?

Thanks

;)

Evening all.

Ive got a 6speed N/a. Just had my new exhaust (Miami Gt) fitted and at the same time I noticed that theres alot of black cruddy oil around the gearbox. Not dripping just all around likes its leaked once before!:blink:

What do you think is the best course of action?

Thanks

;)

could have been topped up once before and some oil may have been spilt, thus causing it to gather up road crap and what not. give it a really good clean up and see if anymore oil appears after a run would be a good place to start

• 4 months later...

Hi, im opening this up again instead of adding yet another thread.

Sorry i never got back to you ken or Homer but i now have an update.

Ok the oil seems to be coming from what looks like a pipe at the top of the gearbox, it connects to another piece of metal that connects to the gearstick.. is this the 'selector seal'? The propshaft seal has no oil around it so id be suprised if that was leaking.

Anyone sorted this before?

Cheers

Yep, thats the selector seal, it's a very common issue. As it's increddibly difficult to remove the seal, both the guy in the US and those here just press another seal over the top of the exisiting one. It's stopped the leak on the few dozen cars Phoenix have done.

Cheers for getting back so quickly Homer. You've done this before havent you? can it be done from within the car by removing the centre console and gearstick?

I don't think it can be done from inside the car, but it can be done fairly easily from underneath. The exhaust, prop and selector mechanism has to be removed. It's not a tricky job, but not something you'd really want to do on the driveway. I'd just pay the hours labour needed and get a garage to do it.

• 2 months later...

Well I brought this wonderful Supra off David but it appears this Gearbox seal was never replaced as the gearbox only had 1ltr of oil:( in when I drained it out on sat.

Can anyone please let me know the part no for the selector seal so I can stop the leak, I have been getting a bad whine/drone and I just hope its not the box:(

Regards