The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oh well

colsoop

Oh well Looks like my 1st tubbie is about to die / has died on me. I have been getting a rattling the past few days and no boost off the turbos whch i put down to swapping out some vsv's and one of them being duff.

I dropped the car at Chris Wilsons and he took a look and thinks it may be the first tubbie rattling :( he will be taking a look for me while it is having the suspension work done but i fear the worst.

Not too bad though 97k miles out of them.

Looks like my house deposit money is about to be dipped in to :rolleyes:

Oh well Looks like my 1st tubbie is about to die / has died on me. I have been getting a rattling the past few days and no boost off the turbos whch i put down to swapping out some vsv's and one of them being duff.

I dropped the car at Chris Wilsons and he took a look and thinks it may be the first tubbie rattling :( he will be taking a look for me while it is having the suspension work done but i fear the worst.

Not too bad though 97k miles out of them.

Looks like my house deposit money is about to be dipped in to :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that Colin, that's not good news. Think it's time to go single :D

I don't wanna hijack your thread but.... im looking at getting my first supra shortly, is 90 odd thousand miles about the normal time for turbos to go ie should i be looking at keeping enough money back to get replacements. also does anyone know if uk or j spec turbos have different life spans?

Cheers for any advice

Sorry to hear that! I'm hoping mine don't let go any time soon, having just spent all my money on a house deposit!

I don't wanna hijack your thread but.... im looking at getting my first supra shortly, is 90 odd thousand miles about the normal time for turbos to go ie should i be looking at keeping enough money back to get replacements. also does anyone know if uk or j spec turbos have different life spans?

Cheers for any advice

Mine (UK turbos) have done 103k miles and have never been changed to the best of my knowledge. I'm not sure how long J-spec turbos last typically though.

I'll have a look at the boost issues and rattling when the suspension is done, I made a start today actually :)

Did you not get the rear toe link rods and the other rear tie bars? The toe link rods are particularly prone to wear, and the other links look a bit ropey, to be honest! And where are the nuts for the ARB links.... ;) ? Luckily I have some in stock, so no dramas. You have to heat the old ones up to kill the Loctite, so i never re use them. Will keep you informed of progress this week.

Cheers for any advice

It really depends on the car mate, have they been run at standard boost, if not then how long and how high have they been run. Also how hard have they been run when on each drive.

UK's Im sure would last longer due to the steel blades, J-Specs ceramic blades tend to fail a lot quicker when being run at 1.2bar ;)