The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater matrix go pop!!!

JustGav

So, 11:30 pm at night, driving home from bowling and the window isn't clearing properly...

Carry on driving, and suddenly the fog starts getting thicker.....

Look out the drivers window to realize that there is no fog outside...

Must be the aircon clearing it up, sometimes it gets condensation..

NOOOOOO, it is the heater matrix as I hear the unmistakable hiss from the behind the dash. Bear in mind I'm on a dark unlit road on the way back from Newbury.

Pull over into a golf course, where of course there is no light. Release some of the pressure off the radcap so it stops pissing it into the passenger footwell. Pop, and off goes radcap somewhere on the golf course... Luckily found it in the engine bay, bounced off the bonnet and landed on the battery...

So no water and no light.

Found 2 screw drivers and a set of wire cutters.. Removed the two water pipes feeding the matrix and shoved the back ends of the screwdrivers in, and put the clips back...

MacGuyver would have been proud. Found a water tap and a dodgy coke bottle, so filled it up, and managed to make it home.

So in summary. I need a new heater matrix and I've got the joy of a dash out job to look forward to. :rolleyes:

ouch! thats big work. Sorry to hear that dude. I nursed my Supra home from the 'Ring with a massive crack in the rad... not fun! Did the screw drivers do the trick then?

Yeah absolutely spot on, bypassed the matrix... Rather than joining the pipes, I preferred the option of blocking up the two holes so that the water follows the right path. Held the temp lovely all the way home, not even a flicker up to the hot end..

Gav, I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm still investigating mine, and it seems like my matrix might be blocked after all. Perhaps we can have a matrix-changing meet? :D

Edit: if you want a hand with it, you're welcome to call me.

Swap a matrix weekend? *grin*, might well be up for that...

PS : Mine isn't blocked, mine free flowing, VERY free flowing..all the way into the cockpit.

I think this has gone on mine this morning. Misting up so on went the air con which made it worse. Water temp is ok at the moment and there is no water in the footwells but im sure I could smell anti-freeze. This happened at exactly this time last year on my old celica. All was good then couldnt see anything, next thing I know it stinks and the passenger footwell was soaked and the temp was through the roof. A nightmare of a job to sort too.

Found one for the celica on parts gateway, £60 delivered.

I think this has gone on mine this morning. Misting up so on went the air con which made it worse. Water temp is ok at the moment and there is no water in the footwells but im sure I could smell anti-freeze. This happened at exactly this time last year on my old celica. All was good then couldnt see anything, next thing I know it stinks and the passenger footwell was soaked and the temp was through the roof. A nightmare of a job to sort too.

Found one for the celica on parts gateway, £60 delivered.

Check it carefully, it suddenly dumped water VERY quickly and the tempreature rose sharpish, luckily I caught it before it got too hot. Going to do a compression test to make sure anyway when I do the matrix change.

Gav, you know the correct method is a piece of walking stick :)

No old ladies walking past at 11h30 in the pitch black on a golf course... :p

Turbofit would have been proud of that job ;)

It was a case of WHATEVER I had handy in the car to block up the pipes, as it turned out the ONLY thing I had was a shed load of power leads (from work) or two boxes of screwdrivers... Thankfully I had an old set of cutters in the car which could crack the clips off.

Was really hoping not to have to do the matrix, but I guess I'll have to do it now.