The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing tree sap?

Sparky

Hi all.

Ive got small dots of what looks like tree sap dotted alot all over the bodywork and its starting to annoy me as i dont want to polish it incase i scratch the paint etc..

Ive tried tar and bug remover and it didnt shift. I can scratch it off with my nail but theres litterally hundreds of dots all over the car.

Does anyone know of a good cleaner to do the job. The cars going to get detailed soon by a friend so he said he'll do the sap at the same time if i get the product!:cool:

Thanks

michael your spending to much time over on DW lol.

did a saab 93 last week covered in it , if its soft then its a pita to remove as it will spread , theres no quick fix for this time and patience is a must .

right this is what i do to get them off

can of freeze spray

plastic scraper

freeze spray the blob it will now go very brittle , and with the edge of plastic scraper apply a little pressure and the blob will break up , do all the affected areas , then wash the car as normal .

after the car is dry use AG srp to polish out any remaining small marks , as this has a slight cutting action in it, continue over whole car buff off.

clay wont touch it , all it will do is either ruin the clay bar or make a mess if the sap is soft .

takes a bit of time but does work

It's not actually that difficult to get off - and forget all the tar/bug remover etc. As for T-cut, that'll get it off - along with a fair anount of your paint!

I got my black supe covered in it a year or two ago - and you know how bad black is for showing stuff like this up!

The trouble with tree sap is that it gets harder when it's colder. Give it about 3 washes with soapy water that's as hot as you can stand to put your hands into. It melts it enough for it to be absorbed into the water. Some will stay on the paint on the first attempt, but not as dots - it will just remain as a film on the paintwork. After about 3 washes your paint should be clear of it.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but not as bad as trying to T-Cut it off.

Good luck.