The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What bhp is needed to do good quarter mile speed??

mattysupra

Does any one know what sort of power you need to run lets say..

10sec's...

11sec's...

12sec's...

13sec's...

14sec's...

15sec's...

Also using road legal tires. Mine runs 12.2-12.3 seconds consistently but have know idea what power it has. Maybe you can post your time and bhp figure so we can try and work out a power to speed ratio???

12.3 is going to be a fast BPU i guess? or a small single? so arround 400bhp?

as stock 320bhp is about 14-15 secs?

Difficult to tell from a 14 mile time. depends a lot on the driver and many other factors.

Get it on a rolling road then you know for sure. in a pub shootout saying you have 500 bhp because your quater mile is 12 seconds means shit all when the other guy has a dyno sheet showing 450bhp :)

I found the attached information on http://www.i-supra.com from a guy called Mike Thomas who had calculated ET's/terminal speeds using software called CarTest v4.5. The data assumes that the car weighs 3680lbs with driver.

Rear wheel HP ET on Drag Radials

285 13.0 @ 107.0

300 12.9 @ 109.0

325 12.6 @ 111.9

350 12.3 @115.2

375 12.0 @ 116.4

400 11.8 @ 119.2

425 11.6 @ 122.0

450 11.4 @ 123.9

475 11.2 @ 126.1

500 11.0 @ 128.2

550 10.8 @ 132.3

600 10.6 @ 135.9

650 10.4 @ 139.1

700 10.2 @ 142.3

800 9.9 @ 147.8

This seems pretty accurate - my best time is 11.82 @ 118 on drag radials with around 400HP. Times for cars on normal street tyres (upto 450 HP) are around 1/2 second slower. I am not sure if this is for manual or auto cars but probably a few 1/10ths/mph either way.

This give you an indication of the kind of times your Supra should do depending on horsepower. If you are not getting near to the terminal speeds your horsepower is lower than you thought (!) and if you are not getting near the ET's you do not have enough traction off the line.

Hope this helps

SimonP

i think you sort of answered what i was trying to work out. I figure that if i can run 12.2 on standard tyres i must have somewhere between 400-425 bhp? i think. Guess i should just get it on the dino. Thor racing is just up the road from me. Are they any good at doing a dino on auto tt? Read the thread on how to dino a auto supra and it seems that most people seem to have problems getting correct readings. I have run 11.9 at Stratford raceway but i always find i am much faster there over Santa pob were i sit at 12.2-12.3. But the day i run the 11 the sun was out warming the track but the wind was cold and blowing from behind, plus they had just sent the rocket car down before me and re-painted the track. Every thing was on my side so would not class it as a fair overall run. But still well pleased with the result

Terminal speed is better than ET as a guide to what bhp you're running. I did a bunch of runs at rotorstock - my terminals were all within 1 mph of each other, but there was over half a second difference in the ETs. If you spin the wheels at the start you waste time, but you don't waste a lot of distance :)

The 1/4 mile strip times and speeds are all confusing me.

I did a 13.9 :( with 115mph :) at Pod

Slow gear changes, over or under reving on gear change all count in the times and speeds.

Practice and natural skills seems to have and Influence?