The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Power needed

DARETT

Hey Guys,

Planning to import my first Supra soon and am just gathering some information on tuning them before hand.

My target will be around 600-650 bhp, will the stock block be able to handle this?

I have been looking at some HKS single conversion kits, is this the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the site!

600bhp is getting towards the limit of the stock bottom end. HKS do make some good single kits though :) Also have a look at PHR (powerhouse racing) and full-race (I'm going to be jealous if you get one of theirs!)

Have a search around on here, there is far more information than you'll ever need or use.

Thanks Gaz, HKS kits are a bit pricey, I've been checking out Sumo's site and I think I might need to save a lot before I can afford that...

I'll check the others out for sure!

How driveable is that kind of power in a manual?

Would it be better in an Auto transmission car?

You'll struggle to hold the torque in a stock auto, that would require a built box. The general thinking on here is that a single responds better in a manual and we often see auto-manual conversions for that reason. Saying that, autos have proved faster on the drag strip so I guess you pick your own poison.

Drivability completely depends on turbo choice. I would say you would be pushing the limits of comfortable driving at those power levels but a quick-spooling high-tech turbo might be OK. I would advise getting a built bottom end to be on the safe side when going over 550bhp though IMO.

Oh, and if you are worried about price I wouldn't bother mate :) My relatively simple single turbo conversion has cost me over £7000 so far.

:D I guess your right big ££ = big power....

My budget will probably be around the £10k mark for mods once I have the car..

So 500-550 is suitable for road use, and occasional drag useage.

I would like a setup that's good to drive on the road but capable of something like a low 11 1/4....

Is that too much....:confused:

A low 11 is a realistic estimate with the right rubber. Have a look here for an idea of different specs and times/ETs: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=29073

If it's a drag racer I hate to say it but get an Auto and a Boostlogic built autobox. Easier to launch (power braking etc) and quicker changes.

£10k on mods will get you a hell of a car mate but make sure you spend wisely and don't skimp on the details, they are what makes the car :)