The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idle problems? Little tip

hoff

I dont know if this is a comonally known tip or not. I didnt know about it until another member (cant remember who) mentioned it. A few people, including myself, have had problems with the idle dropping right down and even causing the car to cut out.

This happened to me last night when sitting in traffic, idle dropped to about 200 rpm! But then i remembered someone saying to switch on the A/C. I did this and hay presto, 3 seconds later the revs picked up to normal again:) I switched the A/C off and never had any further problems.

Just thought id share;)

Ditto: safe to say won't be by me....!

Hehe :thumbs:

OK well, engines don't automatically "sense more load". All that happens is that the ECU has some input switches, and when they are switched it knows to perform action X. Such as, the rear demister, the aircon, the brake lights... All cause the ECU to open the idle control valve up some more. Then more air goes in and, completely independantly of whatever gubbins you have switched on, the ECU fuels for the increase in airflow. This in turn gives the engine a bit more power so the revs rise.

The brake servo itself is charged off engine vacuum so it doesn't put any extra load on the engine by itself.

As the aircon comes in and out intermittently and you have to turn the fan on, you might want to use the rear window demister instead as your idle crutch :)

-Ian