The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on tyre size please.

b_have

Recently bought a set of wheels with almost new 255 35 18" on 9 1/2" rears. The tyres defalate overnight so took them to my trusted tyre fitters and was told the beads are not sealing (one was damaged due to being left flat on the car for a few weeks.)

The fitters have told me that the tyre width is way out for 9 1/2" wheels (255s).

Anyone know for sure if this is correct?

:sos:

no idea but there the same as my rear wheels, was he trying to sell you perollis t1 tyres at £300. ago?

Wasn't trying to sell me anything (I usually buy from mytyres and he fits)

Are you sure your wheels are 9 1/2" wide?

He seems to think they should be 275s or 265s as a minimum. Have to say, they do look very stretched when on and exposing the rim edge.

Hello mate,

I have ran 255 on my rears on 9.5 j rims for along time. Before i had the racing harts i had 9.5 j volks with the same size tyre and never had problems. I have taken my car on track, drag strip and 170mph+ without any issues. The reason i stuck with this size was 265 would scrape on my car.

I think your tyre fitter is not very experienced/or trying to sell u some new tyres, as first he said the alloy was leaking itself when he should have easily found the bead to be broken due to a flat tyre and only checked that once we had spoken and i had mentioned that it might be the bead or valve. He also told u at the time that the tyre was fine.

Tyre was only flat due to car being parked up for some time and has never gone flat before.

They are fine to use on them rims mate.

Hello mate,

I have ran 255 on my rears on 9.5 j rims for along time. Before i had the racing harts i had 9.5 j volks with the same size tyre and never had problems. I have taken my car on track, drag strip and 170mph+ without any issues. The reason i stuck with this size was 265 would scrape on my car.

I think your tyre fitter is not very experienced/or trying to sell u some new tyres, as first he said the alloy was leaking itself when he should have easily found the bead to be broken due to a flat tyre and only checked that once we had spoken and i had mentioned that it might be the bead or valve. He also told u at the time that the tyre was fine.

Tyre was only flat due to car being parked up for some time and has never gone flat before.

They are fine to use on them rims mate.

Ok, providing they are safe, thats fine. So I just need to replace with another 255?

Ok' date=' providing they are safe, thats fine. So I just need to replace with another 255?[/quote']

Mate u just need to put sealer around the bead as thats were the air is leaking from. Most good tyre places would have put sealer around the bead before fitting the tyre.

The tyre itself shoud be fine as it was not totally flat and was not driven on low pressure as car had been standing for some time.

TBH mate, if u don't feel safe maybe your better off selling them tyre's and putting on some wider ones. After all, you said you were going to do a few trackdays and it's all about confidence, and you don't want to be worrying about things like that.