The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Update....

Jamesy

....right guys following the help i got from my thread last week i have now managed to source the following bits:

CW fast road pads

Goodridge braided hoses

DOT brake fluid - (still to find)

Just wondered if that should be enough to keep me going?

What do the braided hoses actually do ? are they easy to fit?

Will i be much better off running my jspecs and these fast road pads?

and where can i get some decent DOT brake fluid from please? (and can that just be poured straight into the container in the engine or does the old fluid have to come out first?

wow...thats a bloody lot of questions... apologies ;)

The braided brake lines flex less under braking, resulting in a firmer pedal feel, they are relatively easy to fit.

Go for DOT 5.1 Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

You may also want to consider fitting a brace for the brake master cylinder. With engine idling get someone to press the brake pedal and see how much flex there is in the master cylinder. I have seen a lot of flex on Supras with the factory fitted smaller brakes. A brace such as the Cusco or Carbing tower bar, which has a built in brace, will help minimise any flex, resulting in a firmer pedal feel and better transfer of braking power to the calipers/pads.

Cusco Brake Master Cylinder Brace

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9974/attachmentphpnq1.jpg

Carbing Tower Bar (with built in brake master cylinder brace)

http://f10.putfile.com/7/18616374710.jpg

and where can i get some decent DOT brake fluid from please? (and can that just be poured straight into the container in the engine or does the old fluid have to come out first?

QUOTE]

Got mine from Guy at opioils - Good price too - went for the Dot 5.1 - There are diffrent grades.

Idealy you need to flush whats in there out before adding the new stuff, unless you get the dot what you have in at the mo.

but as your going to all this trouble id suggest emptying and filling with new dot 5.1