The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question On Brakes For My N/a Supra

Guest GirlRacer!

Guest GirlRacer!

Hi Guys,

I have a 1994 N/a Mkiv Supra on which I want to uprate the front brakes from the standard Jap ones. I have 17" wheels on there now, but would change them to 18s if required.

So 2 questions.

1. Would Brembo 4 pot brakes from a 1995 Gtr 33 fit my car?

2. If not, Where is the best place to buy brakes from-that is going to make the car stop alot quicker for fast road use?

Thanks

1. Would Brembo 4 pot brakes from a 1995 Gtr 33 fit my car?

Not without making brackets and a lot of messing about getting them to fit standard Supra discs.

2. If not, Where is the best place to buy brakes from-that is going to make the car stop alot quicker for fast road use?

I assume you have the smaller spec (2 pot front/1pot rear) Supra brakes fitted? If you're not sure, post pics so we can identify for you.

The most common upgrade, is to fit the larger spec (4 pot front/2 pot rear) Supra brakes that were standard on the UK Supra and some of the late model Supras. These are a straight swap and give far superior braking compared to the smaller brakes. I can supply all new parts if needed, details here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=98436

Also its all well and good saying you have whatever sized wheels now but you need to check if they will fit over 4 pot brakes. There is a list here somewhere made by simonb on here just advanced search wheels that fit over brakes author simonb and you have somewhere to start.

There are also many options on upgrading your existing brakes that people with single turbo's use. Speak to Chris Wilson about his stuff or I believe Paul Whiffin retails Porterfield pads and alternative discs for the J-spec brakes.

Guest GirlRacer!

These are the ones fitted to the front of the car. I have stated I am happy to fit bigger wheels Brain, but it would be good to know if the ones stated above would fit my wheels.

Those are the smaller spec Supra brakes - 2 pot front/1 pot rears.

I see you have the AVS wheels fitted, I use to have the same wheels in 18". They will not clear the larger spec brakes, as the back of the spokes with hit the larger front calipers. If you do want to fit bigger brakes then you would also need to fit new wheels.

Here ya go

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=18157&highlight=wheels+known+clear+brakes

Have a looksee in there and find out which wheels are known to fit and compare that with ones you actually like.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1452010&postcount=7

I knew someone with a single turbo was running J-spec brakes so might be worth asking him what upgrades he has done to them.

Guest GirlRacer!

Hey guys! I've only just seen this or I would've thanked you sooner (my bloke posted it up and I didn't realise!)

Anyway, thanks so much for your advice - sounds like the perfect excuse for new alloys to me! Thanks again :) :urock: