The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My journey home in my 1st supra

Guest Foxy

Had a good journey down to newcastle to buy a supra(n/a manual,exhaust,big alloys),when i spoke to the owner who was a really decent dood(he was honest and even pointed out the few faults it had).And after a brief test drive the deal was done.

My buddy(john) was tailing me up the A1 heading towards Melrose,and i was taking it easy with the car until it had a full mechanical check over.Just as well...I overtook a truck (I accelerated from 65mph to 80 mph),the car started to missfire and was blowing out the biggest clouds of smoke.It was so bad i couldnt see a thing when i stopped.to say i was Pi***d off is a serious understatement.

I called up the guy i bought it off,obviously he was really concerned and re assured me he'd had no problems like that with the car..

Anyway it was far too dangerous sitting stationary where we were,so i did all the checks i could and realised the oil was actually above the max,so i nursed it to the nearest petrol station for a closer look.I'll cut a long story short and tell you that i drained 14LITRES OF OIL out of it,which is just rediculous concidering its meant to have 5LITRES.The previous owner had it into a fast fit type company for a quick oil change just b4 he parked it up 4sale.Could have been fatal to the engine had i not been taking my time.LUCKY EH!Anyway sorry for wittering on.IF YOU DONT SERVICE YOUR CAR YOURSELF -TAKE IT TO SOMEONE YOU KNOW YOU CAN TRUST..

out of interest, what type of damage can happen to a Supra if over filled with oil?

I've always religiously filled mine right to the top.

I would think it would blow every Oil seal and gasket in the engine, with the increase in Oil pressure

Welcome Foxy by the way :D

Cheers

-Ian-

bugger man thats nasty. Got to admit tho I did overfill my MR2 once due to the engine being rebuilt and the oil being clear. Ended up being towed home by the old man and my mechanic having a good laugh luckily he didnt didnt charge me for wasting his sunday afternoon (he got a beer out of it tho)