The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T04Z tested @ track day

Chiefgroover

Many people are asking me about the T04Z and to date I had yet to drive it in anger.

It starts positive boost @ 2K. Pulls nicely between 3 & 4K and the 4 to 4.3K where it reaches full boost is easy to control rather than a mighty surge of power. Exiting a corner in 3rd put the foot down @ 3K and as it reaches 4K it pulls hard but smooth making car control so much easier than with the 4088. It pulls strong on my engine right through to 8K showing no signs of weakness.

Negotiating a series of turns was always a tricky job for a big tubbed supra and the part throttle control of the engine in the 4K up area is so good you'd be forgiven for thinking its a V8.

This is one special turbo, I am totally happy with. I am changing my fuel pump to the Bosch 044, as the walbros are not doing a great job for me at the moment.

It demands bigger injectors though, @ 1.3 bar my 850's will be about 87%.

Today I ran 1.02bar on the track, giving it everything it had, believe me when I say it was tremendous fun :) only thing that was going quicker was a mates Westfield Hyabusa, man that thing can brake :D

Would I recommend the T04Z after todays trial, yes :D:d

Ernie, Is that a twin walbro setup? How do you know it is flowing less than a 044 setup?

The reason I ask is I curently have a single walbro that fuels perfectly well for my setup. Not sure on the next step?

What sized lines are being run to the filter?

Yes its twin. Strangely the rail doesnt use the middle point for the return, something I cant understand. So I will convert to the same style as the silver car which was feeding each end of the rail and taking the return from the middle. The twins I have dont use any shielding and are very noisey. I also have re installed the tank feed as it was in the wrong place and had a braided hose inside that stopped the fuel gauge working and eventually must have broke it. It has twin stock filters that are recent. It struggles with reliable fuelling atm over 1.1bar. I have had the 044 recommended to me by a few people. Its bound to make less noise too!

Alex take note of the following written in June 06 by whitelightening who got the engine rebuilt.

"Well she should rev to 10,000rpm now. Someone is going to get a quick car.

But I warn you, I want an enthusiast - she needs someone who can handle her."

So what was it I did to it on the way home that stressed it so much with an 8K rev limit?

Guest CoilSpring

Chief,

Glad to hear that the Z has such outstanding performance.

The 04Z offers three turbine housing sizes to choose from -

which one did you use for your setup ?

-

Once its in the power band its almost instant and throttle control of the power delivery is very precise for a turbo car. Might be different at very high boost, but i can see me ever running over 1.3 bar. A very soild and responsive power band is very solid from 4.2 to over 8K in mine, alough the ported / big valve head may have helped after 7K.

Whats the difference between the Z and the R HKS turbo other than the inlet housing? AFAI can see the internal spinny parts are the same? My car allegedly runs a bosch pump and its sooooo noisy. I think it might be nadged its that noisy. What exhaust housing you running with that?

Double ball bearing on the Z