The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modifications and Insurance??

xeno

I searched the threads here about insurance and, as you might expect, I found a lot of variation in peoples experiences.

One thing that confuses me though is companies saying "Only 6 modifications allowed", stuff like that.

Does anyone know what counts as a "modification"?

The 6spd TT I've bought, has 16 MODs if you count things like the stereo, steering wheel, boost guage, even the gearknob. How fussy are these companies when it come to stuff like this. It's not like somebody added a steering wheel that wasn't there before, the car would have had one anyway.......

So what counts as a MOD, or should I just declare everything no matter how trivial?

Any advice from those who have boldly gone before me?

Thanks.

OK. So declaring everything would be my safest bet. I did phone my current insurer earlier and it was a real marathon.

I listed all the stuff that wasn't manufacturer fitted. She (the insurance clerk) then phoned the underwriters. So she had me on one phone and them on the other, and was asking things like "what the turbo timer does?" and relaying my reply to the underwriter. Then it was "What does the f-con v fuel ignition timing computer do"? As I just bought the car (my 1st Supra) and don't have it in my possesion yet, I could not give accurate answers to all the questions. I dunno what the hell a f-con v fuel ignition timing computer does...... Then there's the electronic boost controller......:rolleyes:

Anyway I got a quote from them, but wanted to shop around a bit, but if I got to go through that every time, I could be dead before I'm done.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just phone a few and see how it goes....

try sky they are the Club insurances,

to be fair gear nob changes - is there a point to tell them>? does it matter?

its performance mods and body work they truely care about.

Stereo unless you have over 2k of the dogs bollocks forget it they will only give you 500 quid back, had many runnin's with insurance companies over it and drop everyone as there is no point losing NCB