The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Car and Ryan G

suprafan72

Before i start i want to say the biggest Thanks to Ryan G... What a superstar for sorting out my car........

The Car Before Ryan Mapped it....:-

Was basically a bag of shite.....

I was experiencing missfires, Very high EGt's 1000deg at 5,500rpm at 1.4 Bar.....

At cruise i was experiencing EGT's of 850 deg on cruise....

I first contact Ryan G early last week and begged him to do a favour and look at my map on my AEM which was mappped by Dan Turner of Advanced Motorsport ex Marlin Motorsport or JKAN.. (How many company's he's had)

I sent the Map over to Wez and Ryan G... and they both came back saying that the Timing was all over the shop and then I just couldn't believe that o2 feedback was always on up to 47psi and 7500rpm (in other word autotune was switched on)

This is from a person who said Autotune dosen't exist and he never uses it!!!!!

I was quite frankly shocked and so angry that a so called proffesionally mapper could do such a job of what a 12yr old could do!!!!! ( I was extremley angry and mad what had happened)

I firmly believe that he was responsible for my head having burn't out exhaust valves and possibly my manifold cracking under extreme heat!!! (To prove this would be another story)

Then Last Thursday I drove allong to Ryans with extreme caution... Ryan then spent an hour or so trying to get the cruise map and idle running right.. which within an hour and half on the way to Surrey Rolling Road he did :)

We Then arrived at Surrey Rolling Road and that's when the horror story started to unveal.. (My car was knocking like a woodpecker at Wastegate Pressure (1 Bar).

No mtter what Ryan Did with Retarding the timing and having afr's up to 10:1 we were still getting Knocksum Counts at Boost Build Up..... The car allso started to Missfire and Sounded like a bag of shite on the Dyno.....

The Car's maximum was around the 480fwhp at .9 bar which wasn't good....

The way the car was was even screwing up the Dyno Reading's to a degree because of the way the Car was with its timing etc (Ryan im sure will go into detail)

We then had Pizza and left the RR and tryed to do some Road Tuning. We were getting issues all the way home and decided at 11:40pm to do a compression check on my car as we feared the worst...:(:( Praise the lord we were all right... between 150 to 145 on all cylinders:)

We could then only determine we had a stick injector fault, Ecu or crank sensor Issue...

I went on my way home driving like mss Daisy.... The car felt awful and i felt awful, angry and very sad about what had happened.. The feeling of being ripped off and betrayed was flooding through my mind...

The Car whilst Ryan G got his hands on it.

Ryan then called me up to say that he had a Power Fc i could borrow and could i come accross whilst he tryed that... Which I did.. and OH BOY!!!!!!

Ryan performed a miracle.........

1. The car's Turbo Spooled 800rpm quicker...

2. The throttle response is well somewhat unbelievable

3. The car at 1.1 Bar Felt quicker than what it was at 1.4 Bar

4. I have serious Traction Issues in the 1st three gears..

5. The fuel economy is even better than it was

6. The car drives like stock off boost and so much more smoother

7. The car starts first time even in the morning..

8. No sign of DET/ Missfires or anythng..

9. The grin on mine and Ryan's face was unreal...

I am running on the standard map sensor as the Power FC dsen't Like the Denso one for some Reason....

I will allso need to get pressure sensor for my WI (anyone got one) :D:D

To say im very pleased with Ryan is an understatement.. This guy is the god of tuning:D:D:D

My EGT's are allso staying arround the 850 to 900 deg mark (Sensor in the exhaust side of the Turbo)

Hopefully my next visit will be to install a new Map Sensor, WI Pressure switch, a Trip down to Surrey RR and to Turn the Boost up to 1.6 Bar if possible...

The car is a different beast and has been Reborn

I've learn't a hard lesson never to go to Cowboy's

Would allso like to pay thanks to WEZ who helped me out looking at my map and support when i was at Surrey RR...

The story continues... Watch this News for more...

I will get some screen shots posted up of the Map and you will all see for yourself's....

The story you've posted makes it sound as though Ryan couldn't map it either though, that's why I'm confused :)

Not enough time?

Some of the other potential issues you've mentioned making life difficult? In this case which of these does the PowerFC eliminate?

The story you've posted makes it sound as though Ryan couldn't map it either though, that's why I'm confused :)

Not enough time?

Some of the other potential issues you've mentioned making life difficult? In this case which of these does the PowerFC eliminate?

The Power FC uses Sequential Injection (Coil over Plug) Which eliminates the need for a CDI....

To be honest i'm suspecting that it was Dan's Map alone or mixture of a potentially faulty CDI and map!!!

Ryan only tweeks AEM's not really maps them...

i have an aem mapped by dan too, i do get missfires when i boot it when she is hot, more so in warm weather, my idle is a pig, and cold start is a pain in the arse, i am changing my turbo setup as i had it with this one:rolleyes: and it will be remapped hopefully all the problems will be ironed out then:D although saying that i went out for a couple of hours of spirited driving, just got back and she was going sweet no missfire, but idle and cold start was still a git, mapping issues maybe?

i have an aem mapped by dan too, i do get missfires when i boot it when she is hot, more so in warm weather, my idle is a pig, and cold start is a pain in the arse, i am changing my turbo setup as i had it with this one:rolleyes: and it will be remapped hopefully all the problems will be ironed out then:D although saying that i went out for a couple of hours of spirited driving, just got back and she was going sweet no missfire, but idle and cold start was still a git, mapping issues maybe?

Coldstart enrichment will be out, IAT adjustment probably OFF :eek:

Hiya Andy,

Glad you got it all sorted, its going to be insane at 1.4 to 1.6bar :D

I think the DLI maybe faulty and sadly AEMs are pretty much useless without them due to the wasted spark setup, the map also had some issues.

The PowerFC enables you to run direct fire like Toyota intended so the DLI can be binned :thumbs:

After you guys left as a test we strapped my motor on the dyno and everything was spot on, no issues what so ever.

This is what I thought too.

Hey.. I have a hangover!!!!

Ryan was merely doing me a favour by having a look at the Map stored on The AEM management.

Ryan dosent confess to knowing allot about the software but he know allot about mapping... Hence why he did me a one off favour!!!... by looking at and trying to TWEAK the map on there.

My MR2 turbo is running an AEM, has 800cc injectors and many other mods. Haven't touched it in WEEKS so the battery was flat. Charged the battery this morning, turned the key and it fired into life almost instantly. I was outside the car so no feathering the throttle, it idled like stock, drove well, no lumpiness, no stalling at junctions, no pause when you blip the throttle.

I like the Link and plan on stocking them, but I don't have a real problem with AEM either. Oh, and I fitted the AEM in mr MR2, no-one else has touched it ;)