The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just got back fromt the tyre place...

fri3ndly

To cut a long story short(ish), I phoned up a local tyre fitting place yesterday who ordered a new tyre in for me upon request as my front tyre looked really warn on one side, so I initially thought it was a tracking problem that caused it.

Anyway, it arrived today so I went down to get it fitted. Was a nightmare getting jacked up so had to drive up 2 bits of wood.

He took the exisitng tyre off and i quote "Bloody hell". The inside of the tyre was on its last legs and could burst at any point. Something had caused a large deep cut around the whole inside circumference of the tyre.

He said its not my tracking but camber (I dont have a clue what that is), but that I need to take it too someone soon or the same will happen to this tyre (£150 worth!).

They managed to brake the part that inflates the tyre so had to improvise, but said they will pay for it to be replaced.

Anyone know where I should go to get the camber done and have you had this happen?

He said it might also be the shocks they are rubbing against and asked if my car had been in "a ding". I bloody hope not!

Pics to come...

First thing you need to do is find somewhere local ish that does 4 wheel laser alignment, be warned this is not cheap (expect to fork out nearly a ton for this) when they do the alignment they should be able to have a gander around the suspension area see if there are any problems there. Be sure to explain that your car is quite low so they know if you can get your car up their ramps or if they need some wood :) The camber is effectively the angle that the tread of your tyre sits on the road when looking from the front to the back of the car. Negative camber and the top of the wheel tilts inwards to the middle of the car positive camber and it tilts outwards from the centre. If you wear out the inside of the tyre before the rest then its more than likely you have high negative camber. Basically the weight of the car is sitting on the inside edge of the tyre more than the outside if the wheel is tilted inwards. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the managed to break the part that inflates the tyre? DO you have a standard rubber tyre inflation valve or is it a metal one? If its broken why is the wheel staying inflated? Might be an idea to tell us what wheel type is fitted and if you know it the offsets and if its got spacers fitted.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I have Work Vs KF wheels fitted. They broke the small metal valve whilst inflating so they told me to order a new one and they would reimburse me. The used a long one for now but said they will replace it for me when I get it for free.

Its definately negative camber. Im still quite shocked at the amout of damage it caused though, it looked like a knife had gone round the whole inside and you could see the sharp inside metal bits sticking out of the tyre.

Not sure about offsets or spacers, just trying to find another fairly local place to take it too.

I am getting slightly worried about what the guy said about a crash though, that is teh side that is really bad on the tyre, that sides headlight looks newer AND the car had just been sprayed before I bought it :-z

The HPI check was clear though, so I am wondering if it might have had a small crash :-(