The mkiv Supra Owners Club

K&N or Green

SupraD06

hi all, im going to try and change my induction kit at the weekend but am not sure which one to get? has anyone used GREEN or K&N products and are they any good, i curently have a powerflow kit and its not worth the box it came in so i want it changed so should i spend the extra money and go with Apexi, Greedy, HKS, or Blitz instead. i know it sounds picky but can you get a good cone filter in blue

• 3 weeks later...
In what way is it better please?

Because Toyota spent a lot of time & money designing an air intake system which has 2 cold air feeds and is insulated from the high temps in the engine bay, which aftermarket cone filters draw up into the engine, increasing the charge tempterature and reducing performance

Exactly right there jaymdee.

On the stock system air is drawn from vents outside the engine bay and thus provide a far cooler charge temp than when using air drawn from the super hot engine bay. Believe me there is a real difference in performance when using the stock air box - particularly when at slow speeds. At higher (motorway) speeds there is no difference when using an aftermarket filter.

Stock filter, stock airbox is the way to go for TT's.

On the flip side Toyota put a lot of effort into the designing the sequential system and turbo's, but we still feel the need to pull it apart.

If you want use a cone filter for looks fine, there really isnt a peformance gain over using one, but if you do, make sure its properly ducted, possible enclosed in to reduce the effect of it drawing in hot air from engine bay.....

As I have said before to what effect this would have on the road Im still scepticle, at a stand still Im sure you would notice the hotter air being drawn in, but then your not a 1.2bar at that point are you....;)

To be honest, I fitted an Apexi for a week, when my car was completely stock, and was sure the car felt slower, refitted the stock airbox and it felt back as it was. This was before I joined the forum, so it wasn't 'placebo' effect or anything as I honestly thought it would be better than stock.

I've tried most options at BPU

The car came with a mega price ARC induction box which seemed to work okay. I then switched to a Apexi as I couldn't be bothered to find a new filter for the ARC, it bogged down badly in traffic and sub 40mph due to high induction temps. I then made a sealed box for this but had no cold air feeds aside from the stock ones (not ducted). It made little difference. Next I went to a stock airbox and filter and bang, massive difference in low speed response.

Next it went single and has a massive unducted pod filter. AIT's are through the roof again and it can take over 5 minutes for temps to drop even after a few miles above 40mph.

The extremely high engine temps on the TT's and singles mean sealed cold air feeds are a must at all levels of modification.