The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1.2 boost in Jspec TT - non BPU??

Sisky

Hi,

had a few threads going in last couple of days about a GZ TT i'm going to look/buy in hereford (I;m inIreland) on saturday.

after suggestions on here am planning to run on 95RON (only fuel at pumps over here) and 10% toluene.

The guy who is sellin says car is standard apart from cat -back 5zigen exhaust/ HKS induction mushroom filter...............but I asked him to gun it and see max boost

he said it boosted on gauge to 1.2-1.3

isn't this high , stock = 0.8? is this possible with just these mods or is there likely to be more mods having been done....want car as standard/stock as possible cos of crap fuel over here...

see pics of engine bay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270174439749#ebayphotohosting

thanks, finding this forum really useful

I would not EVER run stock turbo and engine at 1.3 bar on 95 ron fuel, it is just a case of when it goes pop, IMO ;)

i'm sure you're right.....

but 1.3 boost...with only aftermarket cat-back and air filter - that can't be right can it (unless there are other mods or else something faulty???).

he would need a boost controller manual or electronic to increase the boost if he still have both cats in.

The exhaust temp would be very high, also would probably need FCD and possibly a bigger fuel pump to be running 1.3 bar.

all of that on 95 RON is asking for trouble to be honest

i'm sure you're right.....

but 1.3 boost...with only aftermarket cat-back and air filter - that can't be right can it (unless there are other mods or else something faulty???).

Unless the gauge is faulty which I doubt it will not last long running 1.3 bar, maybe it has some other Mods he does not know about ??

IF you do make an offer I would get it looked at by someone who knows exactly what they are looking at because you could be spending serious money very soon into ownership

You can't see from the pics but I'd expect it has a manual boost controller (bleed valve) fitted if it's hitting those sort of boost levels with the cats in.

Bad idea, very bad idea to run that sort of boost without decatting and doing the other required mods.

It would also indicate that it has an FCD fitted.

edit - too slow!

You can't see from the pics but I'd expect it has a manual boost controller (bleed valve) fitted if it's hitting those sort of boost levels with the cats in.

Bad idea, very bad idea to run that sort of boost without decatting and doing the other required mods.

It would also indicate that it has an FCD fitted.

i'm wondering whether i should call it quits on the 200quid already spent on flight over and ferry home! my head is wrecked from researching this car for last few days!! don't know what to do now - everything was looking good till this boost thing raised its head

i'm pretty sure the guy sellin is honest enough but don't think he knows a huge amount about the cars (like myself!) and maybe there was stuff done to it before he had it imported last year...he says he's never noticed it boost that high until he went out and gunned it past 100mph today at my request - says usually boosts

hopefully i can find someone near there from the forum or something to check it over....barring that is there a self-professed all-knowing supra oracle on here who is prepared to give me their phone number to call while i'm with car on saturday?

cheers (sorry for essay!

There is a Totota Garage in Hereford http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GEUA,GEUA:2006-19,GEUA:en&q=toyota+hereford

Not sure if they would be any help but worthy of a call if you are thinking of goig through with it. If the guy is as honmest as you say it may be worth chucking £50 at him for him to take it for a once over from their mechanics after you have told them the info on this thread and then speak to them after the broad checkup for aftermarket mods.

i'd say theres most likely more mods on that car that he is aware of.

For example in order to boost over 1 bar a FCD needs to be fitted to a stock ECU, the car simply would not allow it otherwise. So the fact he is unaware of this could mean he is unaware of other mods.

Secondly, there has to be a boost controller fitted in order to up the boost from the standard (aprox 0.7bar). Or the only other explanation is that the decats (or at least one of them) have been removed.

Was it a particuly cold day ? as if the owner has never seen it boost so high this could be the reason, also higher gears tend to boost spike more than say 1st and 2nd gear.

In addition could a pipe have come loose ?

The thing that would worry me the most is the fact that you should NOT be running an imported supra on anything other than SUPER unleaded, its just not worth the risk.

my 2ps worth