The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra snow

gannon888

I put it down to manu mode and newish tyres.

Manu mode is brilliant

First attempt in snow was 3 years ago, a few months after I got the Supra. Just touching the throttle was really "interesting" and VERY worrying!

After this I discovered the manu button. Using the manu button and just resting yout foot on the throttle actually makes the car move in a straight line, if you use great discipline it is ok. :cool:

I got my supra last Febuary (1st rear wheel drive car also) and in the first week it snowed hard everyday. I had no choice but to take it out. It took me so long to get anywhere but she was fine. I had reasonable tread on my tyres which were 235/45/17 on the rear and 215/45/17 up front. This year though I have 265/30/19 on the rears and 235/35/19 up front so im not looking forward to it this year. Just be very carefull on the accelorator, and hope it doesn't kick down. I spent my first week of ownership praying for that.

I attempted it (only slush not real snow) - it was a big mistake didn't even get off my drive, the car was squirming all over the place turning the slush to black ice, I went into the fence almost immediately, fortunately no damage. Next attempt I went sideways down the drive and parked it in the gate post, couldn't get out of the car door and the gate was wedged in the rear wheel, I left a big gouge in the wheel spoke (60 quid refurb) and scratched the rear fender quite badly. I'll not be attempting that again in a hurry. The stock traction control was less than useless.

The wheels were spinning for fun even in 2nd in manu mode. You have absolutely no control of the wheels like you would in a manual using clutch control. Very scary I didn't enjoy it one bit.

Mike