The mkiv Supra Owners Club

About to become an owner

Scott

Hey guys,

Going to buy a facelift TT Supra 6spd on friday so looking for a bit of advice.

Its quite extensively modified looks wise and has the usual BPU upgrades including Intercooler, Filter, De-Cat and exhaust. I've also been told it has a Mines ECU and that the boost is running at just under 1.2bar.

What sort of things should i be looking for?

One of the things that i can't get out my head is that it has a TRD Bonnet, TRD Front Wings, Bomex Front, Veilside Sides, Veilside Spats and Modified Veilside Spoiler. This is the sort of mods that are done to a car that has been in a front end collision. I know that chances are it hasn't but what should i be checking to make sure?

What sort of power should it be making?

Cheers guys

Scott =op

1.2 bar should be good for anywhere between 380-410bhp, Don't be put off by cosmetic mods, there aint many Supras that arnt modded around to be honest. Look to see if the headlights are sitting in nice and tight and not proud of the front wings. Im sure there are other things you can look for. The crash bar would have been taken off anyway to fit the bumper.

Good luck matey!

Yeah i think i'm just a little worried. I'd rather be on the safe side of caution if you know what i mean.

I'm not saying that it has been in a crash or that all of them have but i have heard that the easiest way to repair front end damage is with aftermarket parts as they are often cheaper than originals.

Oh, its a fresh import too.

Scott =op

hia mate its danny here you emailed me about my supra. I wouldnt worry if it has aftermarket body parts on it, it is pretty rare to import a supra without a kit on it these days. Just have a real good look over it for any signs of previous damage as there is no real way of tracing up history from imports like the HPI.

Good luck anyway give me a bell if it doesnt go through.

cheers danny

Yeah had a look over that. Seems more orientated to Standard Sup's though. I should have mentioned in my first post that i had already looked over that. Its mostly what to look at with regards to the modifications that i need to know now. I also want to make sure there isn't any slip in the clutch etc whats the best gear to check this in?

Hey Danny, cheers for the info bud. I'll be in touch either way mate :D

Cheers

Scott =op

Ok i just thought of something.....

According to the guy i'm getting it from the car has an uprated fuel pump. Now, i'm pretty sure from reading other threads that this is very important with a full BPU car so..... is there any way i can visually check to see if it is uprated???

I would love to just trust everyone in what they say but life tells me thats not the way it works.

Scott =op

Ok i just thought of something.....

According to the guy i'm getting it from the car has an uprated fuel pump. Now, i'm pretty sure from reading other threads that this is very important with a full BPU car so..... is there any way i can visually check to see if it is uprated???

I would love to just trust everyone in what they say but life tells me thats not the way it works.

Scott =op

The pump is in the fuel tank, so you would need to unbolt the cover and remove the hanger to get to it.

The TRD front wings are only available as part of the widebody kit they do, it sounds from your description that the wings will be standard and have had 'TRD like' holes cut into them. You should be able to tell quite easily, if they are steel then they'll be the stock wings, if fibreglass they will be aftermarket.

The TRD bonnet is available separately, most are aftermarket copies, as the genuine ones are expensive. Like the wings though, it could be that the bonnet is stock and has had the vents cut into it. Again if the bonnet is metal (alu) then it is stock, if it is fibreglass it is aftermarket.

Post up pics of the car (interior, exterior and engine bay) if you can so we can give it the once over for you.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/253453.htm

Thanks very much Nic,

Yeah sounds like they are just standard with holes in them lol. Doesn't bother me just nice to know.

Pics are in the Ad above.

Oh, forgot to add. He had an advert in autotrader that showed the interior. I don't know much about the standard interior etc but the car had Recaro's in there. I think they were an optional extra at factory?

Cheers

Scott =op

Dunno, not a great lover of that spoiler anyway. I don't mind the design it just sticks out the sides about 4" too much on either side lol.

Probably something i will look to change in the future.

I have the same one on my MR2 but it doesn't stick out THAT much.

Scott =op

TBH i wouldn't know the difference but i have no idea.

What things should i look out for Facelift/Pre-Facelift??

Scott =op

The difference between facelift and pre facelift rear lights can be seen in this thread

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=127952&highlight=facelift+rear+lights

Yeah, what Edge said, check the boot for any signs of it being rear ended.

Cheers for the link, i just did a search myself before u posted for a look but that one is much clearer.

I've asked the guy the question. I'm actually more worried that its been a registration error and that its actually a pre-facelift car i'm looking at and not a 96 at all. I've asked him to check the seatbelts.

He is almost 300 miles away so i want to make sure the guy is on the level before i go down there. I'll be just a tad pissed off if i get down there and it aint straight.

Scott =op

Had a discussion with the guy on the phone and he says the rear lights are different from his other (non-facelift) supra sitting on the drive. I know its possible that his other sup has the facelift lights but is it possible that the facelift lights are either different on a black car (don't have the grey trim) or that the picture just isn't good enough to tell from??

Had quite a discussion with the guy so i am totally happy to go and view the car. As long as it is as he says and straight i will be buying it. If need be the lights can be changed later.

Thanks for the input again guys.

Scott =op