The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running costs of a Supra TT??

Guest Puddlez

Guest Puddlez

Hey all,

Right well I'm going to get my 1st Supra which I'm working on but my Brother is getting me to really look into how much it costs.

What is everyones monthly running costs of their Supra and yearly bits and bobs, replacing bits and servicing??

I'll be getting a UK TT Automatic so anyone with one of those please let me know all the information you have about every little cost there is on owning a Supra.

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Meg :)

I use mine everyday, it uses about £60 per week petrol, it goes through rear tyres every 10-12 months and fronts about 14-18 months, brake pads about 12 months, oil change every 3000-4000miles, servicing is cheap for me but i do basic stuff myself and a friend of mine owns his own garage.:)

Guest Puddlez

yeah id imagine id use about £50 a week in fuel, i dont work very far away, about 3 miles lol. and i know plently people to help me with servicing too :)

thanks for your info :)

I have just got my supra about 2 weeks ago and in the 1st week, due to drivig all over the place and showing the car off i filled up 3, yes 3 times in under a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! £60 a time. Below is the mileage I got from £60.

1st £60 - 250miles - The drive home from picking my car up

2nd £60 - 192miles - Town driving, and lots of harsh driving! Showing car of to my mates so you can imagine how I was driving, hense the miles I got from a full tank!

3rd £60 - 240miles - Half Motorway and half sensible town driving.

I have filled up again since to see what i would get on an average week driving sensible and not putting my foot down all the time. I got from

£60 - 225 miles - drving sensibly to work (9miles 1way) and the rest is general town driving etc, but all sensilbe driving.

So as you can see, its not the best! :(

Just out of interest, what does everyone else get from a full tank. See my garage for spec of my car, as mine is a Twin Turbo Auto BPU with hybrid turbos so i guess running costs are prob going to be worse?

we'll have to see - depends whether I get to look at the car during the week when I get back. Sounds like loads of work building up for me when I get back :( Holiday is okay but there's no escape - got 5 calls from work today :(

See you next week matey - let me know how your emissions go.

Mike

yeah id imagine id use about £50 a week in fuel, i dont work very far away, about 3 miles lol. and i know plently people to help me with servicing too :)

thanks for your info :)

Just a point mate. In 3 miles the engine oil won't have warmed up, so don't go planting your foot, or you risk buggering the turbos due to lack of oil. Usually takes at least 5 mins, I always wait 10 before boosting. You may find that you won't get the use out a turbo car, unless you plan to drive it a lot at weekends etc

Guest Puddlez

I dont want a crappy diesel german car I want a supra, my brother is desperat to know what other supra owners spend on their cars...

And I would leave the car running a while before i left anyway and dont need to rag it to work.

My car has cost me approx £3600 per year for the last 4 years, EXCLUDING petrol. So thats insurance, servicing, MOT, tyres, modifications, some repairs (expensive). Also account for depreciation, which will be approx £1K per year,

so that's about £300 per month + £170 per month petrol + £80 depreciation = £550 per month all in

Guest Puddlez

Yeah seems like id spend about 500 a month on this car and then any extras for servicing and repairs which is fine :)

thanks all, im going for it anyway :D if i cant afford it in the end i can always sell it on to one of you lovely lot :)

Hiya, can you tell me what an 02 sensor is. Only i think i may need a new one. I work with pixelfill and he wrote this earlier in this thread "Did you get your emissions tested Dave ? I still think that's a little thirsty. Could be your O2 sensor is getting on a bit, maybe a clean or a new one might increase your economy."

Id ask him but hes on holiday and im hoping to go and get it looked at over the weekend so wouldnt mind a bit of a clue before I go.

Cheers

I think my car using to much fuelim getting the

On the way to jap finale it did about 150 miles before the oran ge light came on for more go go juice. Waiting for my new o2 sensor as we speak!

Hey buddy,

It's the lambda prob by another name. I think mines only got one as it's a VVTi TT, think the other have 2 :taped: think they are just over the £100 mark. The one I have is on the exhaust manifold under one the turbos with 2x 12mm sockets on it. Think there are some guides on here and pictures if you search/check out the faqs page.

Ta

Hiya, can you tell me what an 02 sensor is. Only i think i may need a new one. I work with pixelfill and he wrote this earlier in this thread "Did you get your emissions tested Dave ? I still think that's a little thirsty. Could be your O2 sensor is getting on a bit, maybe a clean or a new one might increase your economy."

Id ask him but hes on holiday and im hoping to go and get it looked at over the weekend so wouldnt mind a bit of a clue before I go.

Cheers

I think my car using to much fuelim getting the

This is quite an accurate monthly calculation but as I'm in Hong Kong, quite irrelevent actually :p

Prices are converted to GBP

Veh Lic = 450

MOT = 130

Insurance = 190

Service = 320

Therefore fixed yearly cost total is GBP1090 / 12 months = GBP70 per month.

Plus monthly average costs:

Petrol = 190

Road tolls = 64

Parking = 32

Car wash = 50

Maintenance = 32

Parking tickets/fines = 13

Therefore my average month spend is GBP451.

Note that this is before I pick the phone up to speak to Nic :sos:

:blink:

budget for spare parts too - brake pads for the UK ain't cheap, decent oil for regular oil changes, filter changes, cam-belt change, etc.

And if anything goes wrong, i's not a cheap car to fix (unless you do it yourself ;) ). Valve-stem oil seals are a common one, and could cost you upwards of a grand for a proper head-off job. Remember, these cars are 10+ years old and some can have a very ropey service history.

If you can fix things yourself, or get someone to fix things for you, great. But I'd advise having a shitty run-around car for work, and keep the supra for fun - It's surprising how much you can save, doing it that way.

It's very rewarding owning a supra, but don't go believing that its cheap or easy; without any shadow of a doubt, somewhere along the line your credit card will take a battering!