The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is this engine bay standard??

Sisky

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270174439749#ebayphotohosting

Hi all,

am buyin this supra GZ TT on saturady in UK to bring back to Ireland.....

can anyone tell me from image of engine bay at above address..if (apart from HKS air intake induction kit) if the engine looks unmodified........I want a totally stock engine running standard boost as I'm gonna have to largely run off 95RON over here with maybe some octane booster

w.r.t octane booster, i heard the best thing to use is pure toluene (at concentration of 10% per tank) - anyone know anything about this?? (so happens I'm a chemical engineer and could sneak some of that solvent outta work no hassle :-))

Cheers,

Seán

w.r.t octane booster, i heard the best thing to use is pure toluene (at concentration of 10% per tank) - anyone know anything about this?? (so happens I'm a chemical engineer and could sneak some of that solvent outta work no hassle :-))

Cheers,

Seán

That's correct, forget about any of those little bottles you get from Halfrauds. ;)

Be wary of that mileage when you go to look at it. Ask him if he has the original wheel and gearknob to look at. That handbrake is very worn and a similar level of wear to that of my own car @ 97000 miles !

and the seat, engine bay air hoses etc, but still, it's a 6spd TT GZ for probably £8k or less, depending on what Sisky paid for it. That's a fair price, regardless of mileage. I just wish people would be genuine about mileage as it puts people off similar or better condition genuine-mileage cars which appear to have double the mileage.

and the seat, engine bay air hoses etc, but still, it's a 6spd TT GZ for probably £8k or less, depending on what Sisky paid for it. That's a fair price, regardless of mileage. I just wish people would be genuine about mileage as it puts people off similar or better condition genuine-mileage cars which appear to have double the mileage.

Paying 7,500 so i reckon its a decent price. Imported July 06 by JapPerformance in Bradford - phoned them and they confirmed that they imported car and the mileage they remember ties in...

(any one had any dealings with them????)

The guy i'm buyin it off in hereford says he's had it for weekend use for last year and put only 3K on it in UK- sounds kosher enough - but you never know do ya!!

apart from obvious signs of wear and age, in absence of mileage cert, any other way to confirm mileage ?? its hard I know - its a 13 year old car - I'm not expecting it to be perfect

Paying 7,500 so i reckon its a decent price. Imported July 06 by JapPerformance in Bradford - phoned them and they confirmed that they imported car and the mileage they remember ties in...

(any one had any dealings with them????)

The guy i'm buyin it off in hereford says he's had it for weekend use for last year and put only 3K on it in UK- sounds kosher enough - but you never know do ya!!

apart from obvious signs of wear and age, in absence of mileage cert, any other way to confirm mileage ?? its hard I know - its a 13 year old car - I'm not expecting it to be perfect

I wouldn't worry about the mileage at all. Just go on condition. I was just saying it's frustrating that's all.

is it worth getting engine re-mapped for 95RON?

apparently can't remap the stock ECU?? - have to install aftermarket ECU ............don't know if its worth doing this or running with 95 and toluene booster..?

or even just run on 95.....worse performance and MPG maybe but the ECU should auto-adapt and no damage will be done , right??

Check the hoses in the engine bay if they are brittle and hardly squeeze together they are fairly old.

£7500 is a fair price but as i said it looks a bit worn for the quoted mileage, i had mine up for sale for around that figure with 97 k on the clock so you have got a fair price there.

is it worth getting engine re-mapped for 95RON?

apparently can't remap the stock ECU?? - have to install aftermarket ECU ............don't know if its worth doing this or running with 95 and toluene booster..?

or even just run on 95.....worse performance and MPG maybe but the ECU should auto-adapt and no damage will be done , right??

You're correct that the stock ECU. Run it on SUL, (97+) and you'll be OK. 95 with tolly maybe, but I wouldn't advice 95 on it's own. I don't think the stock ECU can retard the timing enough to cope with 95 by itself and you may experience det, leading to broken engine...

You're correct that the stock ECU. Run it on SUL, (97+) and you'll be OK. 95 with tolly maybe, but I wouldn't advice 95 on it's own. I don't think the stock ECU can retard the timing enough to cope with 95 by itself and you may experience det, leading to broken engine...

only have 95 here in Ireland.

do you know what % toluene is recommended in the mix - do I just fill tank say 90% with 95RON and add 10% toluene from a can???

Adding 10% by volume toluene is an excellent way of bumping your octane a couple of points. It'll be far more effective than anything you can buy in small bottles. Or add 50% Avgas to the fuel. I do this for track days if the engine doesn't warrant race fuel. I can get you Avgas locally to me here in the UK, but how you'd collect and get (legally...) back to Ireland i don't know. You could even mix some race fuel with your low octane stuff, but Avgas will be a LOT cheaper. You may get through an oxygen sensor once a year, but hey, that's powerful turbos for you.

Adding 10% by volume toluene is an excellent way of bumping your octane a couple of points. It'll be far more effective than anything you can buy in small bottles. Or add 50% Avgas to the fuel. I do this for track days if the engine doesn't warrant race fuel. I can get you Avgas locally to me here in the UK, but how you'd collect and get (legally...) back to Ireland i don't know. You could even mix some race fuel with your low octane stuff, but Avgas will be a LOT cheaper. You may get through an oxygen sensor once a year, but hey, that's powerful turbos for you.

so whats better:

1. use 10% toluene in 95RON as is....or

2. get engine remapped with new ECU to run off 95RON neat

so whats better:

1. use 10% toluene in 95RON as is....or

2. get engine remapped with new ECU to run off 95RON neat

bear in mind I;m not going to be gunning the supra (I say that now:)) so just need a solution that will allow me to drive 2-3 days a week and not screw the engine up...

Just bung some toluene in it and it'll be fine. It'll probably be fine without any, actually, but performance and economy will take a big hit as the knock sensors pull a load of timing out.

cheers,

toluene it is then......

i knew 8 years training in chemistry would pay off!!

now I can nick the toluene from work :D