The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engines on ebay

jackso11

"Warranty is applicable once positive feedback has been left"

So they think they could (hypothetically), delivery half a dozen knackered engines in a row, make you wait months on end for delivery etc etc..... and you'd have to leave them positive feedback in order to get a warranty? :conf:

I'm an old cynic me.....

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=motor_supplier+&Dirn=Received+by&Many=ON

99% positive feedback though, perhaps people are scared to do anything else because of the warranty and threat of negative back?

Ernie the Chiefgroover is one of the people who has left positive, he seems sure the engine he got is low mileage and he's usually hard to please.

He seems to attract a lot of con men though....

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=motor_supplier&Dirn=Left+by

Or maybe that's his tactic to force mutual feedback removal?

I would rather buy an UNopened low mileage engine than a used engine A N Other has been inside and buttoned up again. If it's really done that sort of mileage (yeah.... ;)) there's no need to disturb a sleeping dog. I like to buy used engines either as cores for total rebuilds, or ones i have heard running in the donor vehicle.

Surely mileage is not the significances factor, I would rather buy a 100K engine that had been used as the maker intended, than a 25k miles engine that has been run on a half arsed map and had everything rung out of it.

Can't understand why they go to the expense of opening the engine up then then rebuilding it. A leak down test would be fine, a few hundred quid on a borascope will give a good view inside the sump and bores.

£650 !!!!! you get what you pay for. Barge pole springs to mind.

Here it is...

I thought i'd post this in the non Z related section but actually it appears that this ebay seller has sold a few ZX engines...

Basically I found out the supplier this guy uses, (Nippon Spares), they confirmed that they don't have an accurate figure on the mileage's of the engine's but approx between 40-60K, and that the majority of engines are simply compression tested and if necessary parts are changed... But this guy is misleading a lot of people, myself included, and I have reported him to ebay... Here's a copy of my statement to ebay:

I purchased a Subaru engine on the 13/09/2007 from Motor Supplier, it was paid for via paypal on the 16/09/2007. The item finally arrived on the 01/10/2007, terrible delivery time!! The engine received was delivered in a very poor state, poorly packaged with some parts broken, and totally misdescribed, (I can provide full details and proof if required). The seller Motor Supplier refused to refund the item instead offered a pathetic £30 refund for the poor packaging and damage. After many attempts to resolve the matter I was finally offered an exchange unit. However I had to return the item to his supplier, (Nippon Spares who are based in Barking, London), at my expense. I spent over 5 hours travelling in order to return the item. After further arguments and more than 1 hour spent arguing with Nippon Spares I was finally given the exchange unit by Nippon Spares.

However Nippon Spares confirmed that:

1) The engines advertised my Motor Supplier are not guaranteed 22,000 or less, just low mileage ie 40-60K mile secondhand engines imported from the U.A.E.

2) The big end bearings and main bearings are only replaced if necessary, which means the majority of these engines are not reconditioned, they are just checked and some parts replaced if necessary.

Motor Supplier's ebay adverts reflect a "full reconditioned units" which is clearly false advertising and people like myself are paying these inflated prices because of this.

My deep concern with Motor Supplier is that he is not only clearly misdescribing his items for sale, which inturn is misleading a huge amount of people!! He also has left me completey untrue, unfair and slanderous negative feedback as the item was paid via paypal on the 16/09/2007. He has attempted to blackmail me to not leave the negative feedback stating that the warranty on the engine wil be void unless I withdraw my negative feedback.

He has also threatened me stating that " i can make things very bad for you. However, if you agree to mutually withdraw the feedback and accept £75 as a refund then we can call an end to this."

In summary I feel that ebay must take some level of formal action against Motor Supplier. This is the worst seller I have ever come across and he should be brought to account for actions and threats, perhaps even suspended from ebay. I also have all email correspondence to confirm the above and my paypal statement to further prove that payment was made.

Look what he's done to my ebay feedback

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=import-ance-co-uk&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK:ME:UFS

And...

I bought a gearbox from them. Advert was bu**sh*t stated it would be steam cleaned, which it wasn't turned up wrapped in plastic nothing else and on top of everything they delivered it to the wrong address. I managed to get the £50 postage back but he tried the same thing, blackmailing me into leaving +ve feedback before he'd refund the money.

Told him where to stick it and lo and behold I got the money back. Took so long I didn't have a chance to leave any feedback unfortunatly.

Deffo one to avoid.

I wasn't going to post on this, as it would be too long a story, but here goes.

I bought a TT engine from this guy several months ago. I received a bare engine, instead of the complete engine advertised, which had never been apart in its life. I personally believe it had been steam cleaned and that was it. As Chris said in an earlier post I wasn't too concerned about that, but was annoyed that i'd paid over the odds for a bare engine.

When using Nippon Spares' online part history section I was told that 'this part of the site isn't active yet, but it will be in a few month's time'. Not much use to me and totally voiding my main reason for buying from M_S in the first place! When I asked about the mileage (30K miles in the ad) I was told they are around 40-70K, but they couldn't go into any more detail.

I phoned M_S and explained the difference in the ad and my issues with it. He eventually accepted that he'd advertised a complete engine and delivered a bare engine, but claimed he couldn't offer any partial refund because the extensive work carried out on all of his used engines meant that his profit margin was already small :rolleyes:.

I then asked for a full refund, to return the engine as 'not as described' and was told there would be a 35% re-stocking charge. I had to threaten him with legal action under the S of G Act before he changed his mind. He then agreed to a refund, but only after he had picked up the engine (with me paying for pickup) and after he had received positive feedback from me. I told him to get stuffed, explained that he was responsible for all costs incurred including postage and refused to leave feedback until I was happy. He agreed.

The engine was picked up (eventually) and I did get a full refund. I had to push every step of the way to get it and was not best pleased at the end of it all, as it put me a long way behind in my engine swap.

Some digging revealed M_S is a one-man-band who acts as a broker for spares (primarily Nippon Spares) and sometimes doesn't see the parts he is selling on E-Bay. He pays for the item once sold and passes on the buyer's delivery address. Therefore he sometimes has situations where items he sells do not match the descriptions. I feel that if I had not known the law (esp S of G Act) then I would have got nothing back from him. However in all fairness he seems to have many satisfied customers and I would expect CG to know a good engine from bad, so I might just be one of the unlucky ones.

In conclusion I wouldn't trust the history claims being made for the parts sold, as there is no proof AFAIK available yet to back him up. M_S is very pushy in a dispute and tries to bully you into leaving positive feedback. IMO you take pot luck with the parts you receive. As he did resolve all my problems I gave him positive F/B on refund, but personally I would not use him again.