The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spark Plug Cover - Respray - Finaly Finished

Ady

Finally was able to finish this over the weekend :p

The origional cover was sanded down with wet and dry and corse wire wool. The existing paint was in pretty exelent condition so rather than removing it, I sanded it down, just enough for the new primer to knit too.

Then I gave it 3 coats of grey primer, snading each coat back lightly, and allowing 24 hours to properly dry.

I then added 3 coats of the 'blue' (halfords own make, rover refrenced) and allowed each coat do dry for 24 hours, or more.

Once that was done, I went to the art shop and got a multi pack of very thin artist brushes and went to focus and got some silver enamal paint - quick drying.

* I was told to avoid the 'chrome' as it was 'crap' *

I took quite a long time in carefully re painting the toyota badge and writing, and give this 2 coats, allowing each one to dry before proceeding. I sanded down the silver with fine wire wool and added on my final coat and left for 24 hours again.

Next I gave it a quick wipe with a poloshing cloth, and began with the clear laqure. I gave it 3 coats, leaving each to dry for over 24 hours a time.

Now its on with de greasing the cam covers and removing the gunk arround the oil cap!!

I have also ordered some stainless steel head bolts, with stainless washers to replace the existing rusty and horrid looking bolts.

Also have a new stainless TRD oil cap to finish this off.

It wont be getting fixed back on the car untill next year. But here are some before and after snaps.

Before:

After: Not fixed to car yet.

Cheers :cool:

Ady

Looks as though the paint still needs flatting back a bit, or are you going for a textured finish?

Was just the sodding light :( shes as smooth as a babys ass in the flesh

Ive created a 'guide' - its in the technical section for you to use if you wish.

Was just the sodding light :( shes as smooth as a babys ass in the flesh

Ive created a 'guide' - its in the technical section for you to use if you wish.

I think michael was referring to the orange peel from the lacquer.

Nice colour that was how i did mine about 3 years ago (see pic)

blue.jpg

I think michael was referring to the orange peel from the lacquer.

Nice colour that was how i did mine about 3 years ago (see pic)

ahh yeah i see what u mean - Bay lools good mate - I intend on going along them lines, but with alot of chrome ;)

any one got any answers, not being impatient or anything i just dont want to make a balls up of anything, just a few tips would be greatfull, like do i need a grey primer on the parts first?, how do i give a a good key to the plastic parts? and the same question with the metal parts i.e bonnet prop and battery clamp, and finaly do i need a clear coat to seal it?

hi supra d06

grey scotch brite too key things up will do,

you will need a plastic addhesion promoter on plastics before priming to loose the texture

you dont need heat resistant paint,i did mine with normal car body paint and its fine

hth

baldy

hi supra d06

grey scotch brite too key things up will do,

you will need a plastic addhesion promoter on plastics before priming to loose the texture

you dont need heat resistant paint,i did mine with normal car body paint and its fine

hth

baldy

thanks for that, can i get these things at my local halfords????