The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chips away - told me they are crap!!

jackso11

Someone has kindly gone down my road and managed to put chips in everyones paint work in a straight line, my car included.

I now have 7 chips each about 5-8mm square down one side of my car. Time to try 'chips away' I thought. Called them and was told the guy closest to my area would give me a call back within 24hours.....

Guy from chips away called me up and asked me to describe the problem, which I did. These are the solutions he offered me and his descriptions:

1. 'Find a body shop and get the whole side of the car sprayed, this may seem excesive but will get you the best results mate'

2. 'I can come and dab paint in them to fill them in, you could do this yourself with a touch up stick and to be honest the finish isn't that great. At least it will fill them until you can get a respray. £75 + VAT' !!?! ----- isn't this what they are supposed to be good at??

Am I missing something...or did this guy just tell me he is crap at what he does and his company is a waste of time...

Someone has kindly gone down my road and managed to put chips in everyones paint work in a straight line, my car included.

I now have 7 chips each about 5-8mm square down one side of my car. Time to try 'chips away' I thought. Called them and was told the guy closest to my area would give me a call back within 24hours.....

Guy from chips away called me up and asked me to describe the problem, which I did. These are the solutions he offered me and his descriptions:

1. 'Find a body shop and get the whole side of the car sprayed, this may seem excesive but will get you the best results mate'

2. 'I can come and dab paint in them to fill them in, you could do this yourself with a touch up stick and to be honest the finish isn't that great. At least it will fill them until you can get a respray. £75 + VAT' !!?! ----- isn't this what they are supposed to be good at??

Am I missing something...or did this guy just tell me he is crap at what he does and his company is a waste of time...

I had a car done by them and they were quiet cool, finish was good, but i called them recently to discuss the soop and they didnt bother to get back to me, as the employees are franchisies just call the head office number and demand to speak to a different agent.

Buy a touch up pen in the right colour, some cocktail sticks and some 2000 / 3000 grit wet and dry, fill the chips in using as little amount of paint as possible on the end of the cocktail stick, build up the hole until it's level with the old paint.

Then take a hole punch and cut out a circle of wet and dry, stick it to the end of a pencil and work the newly filled chip until it's level, be careful with this stage and you can easily take away the old paint too and make a mess.

Then polish the area with a decent polish, one that breaks down from a medium to fine cut makes life easier but anything with a bit of bite should do the trick. There are some good guides on this on the Detailing World forum but it's down at the moment due to them moving hosts.

That's all they will do anyway, they will just use an air sander and take a bigger area of the panel down.

This is based on you being able to do precise work rather than being some ape armed mentalist who normally does any jobs with a sledgehammer and a chainsaw :)

Thanks michael. I have read an article before that detailed a similar method, but is spanned it over 3 days...primer...paint....clear coat...building it up with a cocktail stick and using a pencil to sand it down as you mentioned. I think I will have a sit down next to my car this weekend and do it myself.

Is the standard black from '95 the toyota Astral black?