The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual Mode

chainy

Today was the first time since i bought the soop that i actually tried the manual mode on the auto box for some fun on some B roads. 2 hours of near empty roads was bliss. I couldn't believe what fun Ive been missing out on in the last 11 months Ive had the car. I have been happy (and also lazy) with just leaving it in drive and with my left thumb up my ass letting the gearbox do the work. With the use of engine braking approaching the corners and keeping it in 2nd and not having to worry about the kick down it felt like a different car again. :) Top tip to anyone with the auto get yourself onto some B roads and give it a go. It was also the first time that i wish i had the 6 speed gear box for the day.......

With the winter rapidly approaching I would never enter any major roundabout in anything other than manu mode in either an NA or TT auto supe. I have raved in the past about the manu mode being as close to point and shoot clutchless seamless driving as you can get. Its almost like playstation driving. I love it so much my AEM is tuned especially for manual changes only.

Not sure about many other people, but I drive my auto supra 'manually' without using MANU almost all the time ie moving the stick between 2nd and auto, and switching O/D on and off whenever needed. It's second nature now. I don't see the advantage of using MANU?

The advantage of using manu is that the box can still catch you out if its not in manu. In 2 it can still choose of its own accord to drop down to L when you least expect it. That is what almost killed my NA supe exiting a roundabout at less than 20 mph. In D with O/D on the car can pick all of the gears itself. Manu forces the box to hold the gear you select unless its dangerous for the box or engine. You can actually whallop into a corner and pre-select your gear and the box won't drop down until the computer says its safe to do so without over revving the engine.

With the winter rapidly approaching I would never enter any major roundabout in anything other than manu mode in either an NA or TT auto supe. I have raved in the past about the manu mode being as close to point and shoot clutchless seamless driving as you can get. Its almost like playstation driving. I love it so much my AEM is tuned especially for manual changes only.

I have to agree with what u are saying their and this year i will be using manu mode more often when the temp really starts to drop and those roundabouts and sharp corners that have been no problem all year can catch you out in the auto....

The advantage of using manu is that the box can still catch you out if its not in manu. In 2 it can still choose of its own accord to drop down to L when you least expect it. That is what almost killed my NA supe exiting a roundabout at less than 20 mph. In D with O/D on the car can pick all of the gears itself. Manu forces the box to hold the gear you select unless its dangerous for the box or engine. You can actually whallop into a corner and pre-select your gear and the box won't drop down until the computer says its safe to do so without over revving the engine.

Strange you say that because when selecting gears manually (without MANU) I have never experienced a gear change that I hadn't selected myself. I'm not denying that has happened to some members, but in over 3 years ownership it's never happened to me. Perhaps facelift box is prgrammed different? Or maybe I just don't drive it hard enough!

Strange you say that because when selecting gears manually (without MANU) I have never experienced a gear change that I hadn't selected myself. I'm not denying that has happened to some members, but in over 3 years ownership it's never happened to me. Perhaps facelift box is prgrammed different? Or maybe I just don't drive it hard enough!

I find even though u have selected a gear when not in manu mode if u do decide to floor it u are going to get kick down that may catch some people out if not expecting it coming out of the bend. With manu mode switched on u can still get kick down between 3rd into 2nd but if u are in 2nd it holds that gear until u put it into drive .

Nope your O/D switch is your 3rd to fourth selection O/D off is third gear O/D on is fourth basically. I didn't know it would kick down from third to second in D in Manu mode, I never got mine to do that. I take it hogmaw that your car does kick down by your statement that it doesn't kick down when you aren't expecting it to. Its a truly terrifying experience when it does it by surprise. It caught me out in my NA once after three weeks of ownership, I never gave it chance to in my TT always driving into corners in manu mode.

I've just had a go in manu mode. Its been a while, but I thought you dont get kick down. Never had any before but I was in 3rd at about 70 leptons and about 4k revs IIRC and punched the accelorator. The car sank and the revs shot up like on kick down. Everything feels more responsive in manu mode, i dont know why i dont use more often.

I didn't know it would kick down from third to second in D in Manu mode, I never got mine to do that.

Brian, I think it only selects 2nd when you stop to pull away again. When in MANU mode, I've never had it select 2nd when moving, even very slowly.

bmx1lew: D or 3rd is good for about 130 (I think), so you don't need any more gears if you're on a spirited cross country run

Ah yeah it will select 2nd if you try and set off in D in manu as the box's electronic wizardry realises its not good to set off in 3. Other than that I can't ever recall mine dropping down from 3rd into 2nd with d selected and manu mode when I give the right pedal a bit of loud. I know in manu mode the car won't stay in 4th O/D gear either if the revs are too low to support it.