The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just installed a sub and pleased

Shane

Maybe this should be in ICE section, if so sorry.

The other week I met a really nice bird with an FTO and she had an awesome sound system in it. I realised within seconds of listening to it just how rubbish mine was. So, we got to know each other a bit more...and she has given me a 12" pioneer sub in a sealed box. It just fits in the back of the supra behind the the rear strut brace. Went to Halfrauds today with my lad who works there and gets discount and bought a Mutant amp, plumbed it up and my god what a difference. I have Bose drivers in the front doors and some knackered old pioneer coaxials in the back, but with the sub it has transformed the system. I have since realised that the sub itself has two voice coils and I am only using one, but also I am only using half of the mutant amp as well so plan to get what I need in the morning and drive the other coil. Very pleased, what a result for such little effort. :)

Is the amp bridgeable? then just run the voice coils in series possibly.

Yes it is, its a 4 channel unit. I have FR & FL bridged feeding one coil at the moment. Thought I would reconfigure it I could use two channels bridged for each coil. TBH, it really doesn't need it, but may as well eh.

if its a 4 channle unit, buy a mono amp and use the 4 channle on a decent set of componets, get rid of the rears, there's not really a point in having rear fill besides your lowering sound quality, with your sub and a good set of comps your system will sound sweet.

Thanks mate,

but they are 4 ohm coils so connecting in series will give a speaker impedance of 8 ohms which is not so good.

no it wont, bridging as my pic steps impedance down, series is daisy chaining, diffrent. my w7s have twin coil and are 3 ohm, if you bridge it runs at 1.5 ohms which is why good amps will run stable at 1 ohm like my 1000/1 jl

no it wont, bridging as my pic steps impedance down, series is daisy chaining, diffrent. my w7s have twin coil and are 3 ohm, if you bridge it runs at 1.5 ohms which is why good amps will run stable at 1 ohm like my 1000/1 jl

Mate, maybe I am missing something on your diagram (Really not trying to be funny here either) but to me it looks like you have wired the coils in series. Resistors be they in whatever form connected in series have an effective value of R= R1 + R2 + etc.

As I say I appreciate the reply and if I am missing something please tell me. I am very curious, thanks. Shane