The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Acted wierd for a minute or two....

Jamesy

....this morning i had a wierd situation with the supe......was running a dream, then as i faffed around in the car park trying to find a space, i noticed when i put my foot down, instead of the car flying off, it didnt really go much at all, but the engine made a lot of noise as if it was - i looked at the TC green light was on, so i turned it off, but it still did it for a bit...........

any ideas what that could have been?

my understanding of the J-spec is that if it has "snow" lit up then it turns the turbos off hence the power loss in order to increase traction. it can be dangerous to turn off traction control especially in the wet and near other cars ie in town traffic!

my understanding of the J-spec is that if it has "snow" lit up then it turns the turbos off hence the power loss in order to increase traction. it can be dangerous to turn off traction control especially in the wet and near other cars ie in town traffic!

so are you saying that as soon as the green TC light is on the dash, it stops the turbos working fully?

to be honest, this is exactly how it felt, all noise but no show on the turbo front!!

Why?

i think you know why. if you have been used to driving with TC on you are not necessarily practiced at handling the power and could end up with the back end entering the space of a parked car for example. i'm not saying anyone is a bad driver just advising caution.

It doesn't turn the turbos off, it just has the effect of lowering your throttle input, however it achieves that. If you put your foot to the floor with SNOW mode on, you will still get 1 - 2 psi of boost, and still hear no1 turbo spooling. I've not driven high speed with snow mode on, but I've played around between 0 - 50mph.

i think you know why. if you have been used to driving with TC on you are not necessarily practiced at handling the power and could end up with the back end entering the space of a parked car for example. i'm not saying anyone is a bad driver just advising caution.

Ill let someone else tell you :)

It doesn't turn the turbos off, it just has the effect of lowering your throttle input, however it achieves that. If you put your foot to the floor with SNOW mode on, you will still get 1 - 2 psi of boost, and still hear no1 turbo spooling. I've not driven high speed with snow mode on, but I've played around between 0 - 50mph.

that must have been it .... i could still hear the turbo but not like usual.

what is SNOW mode then? does that come on automatically?

press the button in front of your gear selector that says (slip control off)and a orange light on your dash will say that.then you can boot your car as much as you like,wheels spinning and all that.

press the same button again and nothing will show on the dash,but if your wheels loose traction the green light will come on and slip control kicks in. :)

if your talking about something different,my fault for not reading the thread properly.:search:

press the button in front of your gear selector that says (slip control off)and a orange light on your dash will say that.then you can boot your car as much as you like,wheels spinning and all that.

press the same button again and nothing will show on the dash,but if your wheels loose traction the green light will come on and slip control kicks in. :)

if your talking about something different,my fault for not reading the thread properly.:search:

lol - no mate thats exactly what i meant!

so if u push it once it will come on, meaning its actually OFF!! :D

then if i push it again it'll be off!

so does the green light come on independently? or can u manually get that one lit up? can u turn the green one on or does that just kick in if you spin the wheels? :innocent:

lol - no mate thats exactly what i meant!

so if u push it once it will come on, meaning its actually OFF!! :D

then if i push it again it'll be off!

so does the green light come on independently? or can u manually get that one lit up? can u turn the green one on or does that just kick in if you spin the wheels? :innocent:

you cant manually turn the green one on and off

always have mine lit up unless weather is wet and roads are greasy.

trouble is,when its not lit up and you want to pull out of a junction quickly it can kick in and almost stop you in the middle of the road.:blink:

is that why my car (after spinning the back wheel this morning) suddenly lost all power and when i tried to put my foot down it just made a lot of noise and didnt go anyway fast?