The mkiv Supra Owners Club

T61 is the turbo for me

Ryan.G

Well got 30 mins spare tonight to put a quick map on my car with the t61 now strapped on. Got to say absolutely love it.

Having driven a t61 and t67 now i must say the t61 is the turbo for me. The low down torque is incrediable and holds the power well till around 5500rpm and then the stock cams choke up the engine but with my new cams its going to be fun.

Did a quick data log of a 3rd gear run in my car tonight and have been trying to find a log of a t67 in 3rd but only have them in 4th +.

T61 - 1.35bar by 4000rpm in 3rd and T67 - 1.35bar by 4200rpm in 4th. see logs below

T61

T67

Look forward to getting it on the dyno with cams in when i have sorted out my boost control issue.

If anyone wants a demo of the a t61 i will hopefully be at the next reading jap meet. I exspect homer will also be there in his t67 also :D

Always good to hear some first hand experience :) Must admit I think the T61 is seeming like the turbo more suited to my driving style

Is that mine you're comparing to on the charts?

Look forward to getting it on the dyno with cams in when i have sorted out my boost control issue.

If anyone wants a demo of the a t61 i will hopefully be at the next reading jap meet. I exspect homer will also be there in his t67 also :D

I'll be there for sure, but am have a few traction issues in the cold weather! Any chance of a ride in your's? I'd love to see how it is now.

I thought I had a 61 in my car and almost replaced my buggered one with a 61. I decided to "upgrade" to a 67 dbb and when it pitched up it became obvious mine was originally a 67 after all. I've done some research and found my car in hyper rev magazine. In the spec sheet its listed as having 272 exhaust cam but no reference to the inlet cam. Why would they do that? I want a lower spooling exhaust housing now as I am finding the 0.96 a little late in a fat hefferlump of a car.

I too am thinking about the 264 intake cam :)

Ryan - plenty of info regarding the T67 here :thumbs:

About 4700rpm for 1.3bar+ but you must remember I was (and still am) missing that bit of the wastegate so I've got a constand gas leak and therefore a slightly slower spool than I should have. Only found this out thanks to comparing mine with Homers on the SRR dyno :)

I've been tempted by a T61 but I think I'd miss the mahoosive grunt and tbh most of my driving is dual carriageway so it suits my style.

-Ian

What AR is the T61 and does anyone know how it compares to the GT35R?

I use the GT35R AR 0.82 with in256/ex264 cams, after seeing Wez's results I'm thinking there could be some benefit in swapping to a 264 inlet cam.

It's a 0.68 usually with an undivided housing. The 0.84 option is also available.

Excellent performance Ryan!

What are peoples opinions on the ideal single to go on an auto with 4,000 stall TC and BL trans?

Earliest I'd be doing it is 2nd half of next year. I'll be fitting a 'proper' fuel system at the same time, maybe cams after the initial install / setup and I have a benchmark on an otherwise stock engine drag times wise.

Cheers,

Brian.

With a 4000 you could do with a T67 IMO.

I was thinking that would be the smallest to go for given the characteristics of the TC. I figure although a T61 is quickspooling, it would be a waste because it wouldn't be seeing full load to close to the stall speed. Then you have full load, subsequently full load amount of exhaust gas and ultimately that will full spool a T67 just the same as a T61 and maybe even a larger turbo?

The other thing I've got to worry about is not breaking the BL trans, I think they're rated to around 750bhp? But I seem to break most things a lot easier than other people.

Cheers,

Brian.