The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed cnversions

colsoop

Over the past 6 months but more so the last 3 - 4 people are wanting to convert their autos to 6 speeds.

I was just wondering what the sudden change is about, are people looking to up the power and wanting a better base to begin this quest or they are happy with their own car and want something more hands on.

Also out of the people who want or are going to 6 speed how many of them have actually driven a 6 speed.

It is my day off and wanted to conversate and thought this would be an interesting topic :D

not sure, but I have not heard of a 6 speed owner going auto :D

:stickpoke

Haha

I have a 6 speed manual - i prefer it to the auto.

I test drove a few auto's before i baught my supra.

Given the choice id say manual, but im shure alot would say auto.

It baffels me a little bit as to why people bye auto's then convert them to manuals? wouldnt you be better off bying a manual in the first place?

I went 6 speed for a very good reason and for once did some research on the subject !

I have a car that was dyno proven to run 580BHP at the fly, but during the last AUTO mapping session I had at 380-400 BHP fly the box started slipping, this was due I would have thought to constant 500+ use over time and was to be expected I suppose.

I brought an Auto on purpose not because I could not afford a six speed as I drive in traffic in London a lot and the Auto box is a dream of a box for this type of driving, however it is no point having a 500+ bhp car and not be able to use it so I looked at the TH400 box and a BL box, it was a close call (TH400 too clunky and a bit aggresive) and I almost went BL but the 6 speed came up and was fitted and I have been very happy with that decision so far, all be it traffic is still a PITA :)

I went 6 speed for a very good reason and for once did some research on the subject !

I have a car that was dyno proven to run 580BHP at the fly, but during the last AUTO mapping session I had at 380-400 BHP fly the box started slipping, this was due I would have thought to constant 500+ use over time and was to be expected I suppose.

I brought an Auto on purpose not because I could not afford a six speed as I drive in traffic in London a lot and the Auto box is a dream of a box for this type of driving, however it is no point having a 500+ bhp car and not be able to use it so I looked at the TH400 box and a BL box, it was a close call (TH400 too clunky and a bit aggresive) and I almost went BL but the 6 speed came up and was fitted and I have been very happy with that decision so far, all be it traffic is still a PITA :)

I thought this might be why some were converting :D

What parts are required for a 6 speed conversion? What sort of price do they go for?

I ask, because if my car does not sell, I will keep the car and strip the engine and gearbox for my purposes and sell on the parts.

I really want to do 3sgte conversion, but that is another story...

Only reason id convert was if i needed due to auto box not being able to hold the power, but seen as though i dont want to go single, ill never need too.

I way prefer the auto, its such a nice drive, and it performs well in a race situation too, only thing its doesnt allow you to do is hold the revs at a certain point, but i can live with that for all the other benifits.

Wierd really that 6 speeds hold a higher premium considering the autos were more expensive to buy originally! its cos there are few tho, wasnt popular to start with, just know as they are seen as rarer and therefore more desired in my opinion

Guest gzaerojon

i have a complete 6 speed conversion ready to drop into my aerotop this winter, the reason for me is i'm running a single and i'll just never be able to put the power i want through it. also i do hate not being in control, the kickdown can be a little unpredictable at times and i'm running low on clean boxer shorts ;)

P.s

Converse! :p

I am well aware of the term Matt i like the word conversate thanks very much :p

Conversate” is what is called a “back-formation” based on the noun "conversation.” But the verb for this sort of thing is “converse

As in slang term ;)

It depends on what the car is being used for. I know of several owners who are into the drag in the states, who ditched the 6 speed for a TH400, as they are virtually indestructible, many hold well above 1200bhp.

I was planning a 1000bhp drag car so bought got a fully race built TH400 and a couple of a strengthened high stall TC's. My plans have changed and power aspirations have come down, however they are still too high for the stock box. I really like the auto, having driven it for 6 years I know it well. I tend to use the manual side of the box most as I prefer to select the gears at higher rpm. In traffic it wins hand down, up to the legal limits the auto will be able just in front of the 6 speed on similarly powered cars for most drivers.

I have driven a few six speeds at the time of purchase and liked them but preferred the rapid response of the auto box I am now considering a 6 speed conversion, manily as I want a change. If I can't find a conversion I will happily stay with the auto. Then replace it with the TH400 when power levels dictate.

I think driving the light weight 200SX RB25 with 500bhp through 5 speed box and racing clutch, has has some part to play in the move towards the 6 speed

I have had a standard box, slightly modified with a new valve-body and stiffer springs and better cooling. I have also been through 2 BL boxes. I am happy that I went manual and would not go back to the BL auto box again unless I was doing 1/4 drag runs.

IMO the auto box overheats too easily, especially when you are running any serious power through it. The BL box is great for the track but that's about it IMO.

If I was running a standard power Supra then the auto box would be 'acceptable' for me but I would prefer a manual now as the driving experience is much more involving.