The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid turbos ....

ace67

Who can do Hybrid turbos that produce more power than the standard EU-spec oem CT12B turbos which you guys useally call hybrids when you upgrade your ceramic JP-spec turbos ? Iam looking for turbos that can break the 500 rwhp barrier like the ones in this thread ..... http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444569

Thanx for your input :-)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who can do Hybrid turbos that produce more power than the standard EU-spec oem CT12B turbos which you guys useally call hybrids when you upgrade your ceramic JP-spec turbos ? Iam looking for turbos that can break the 500 rwhp barrier like the ones in this thread ..... http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444569

Thanx for your input :-)

Nobody calls the standard CT12Bs Hybrids. Hybrids use the CT12B casing and aftermarket internals, apparently..

There are a lot of pages on that supraforums post. Are they bolting up two totally new turbos to the stock sequential system, or are they just changing the internals (which is what we would call hybrids I think). It's just that there's talk of a custom manifold and all sorts..

Just got a quote from Thor racing and they are just rebuilding the J-spec turbos with steel internals ie. EU-spec CT12B so your kinda wrong and they can only produce 420-450 rwhp like the EU-spec oem's.

Nobody calls the standard CT12Bs Hybrids. Hybrids use the CT12B casing and aftermarket internals, apparently..

YEs but you have the inferior UK hybrids which is like oem EU-spec turbos thats why you cant make more than 450 + almost all BPU+++ EU US spec Supras run that power ....... And its problematic tp pass the inspections here in Sweden with a single becasue you cant just buy your way through it here ;-) like you guys can do. And BTW everyone has a single so its kinda not uniqe a through stealh install would be nice .

doubtful that you will make 500 at the wheels... I have most mods and hybrids and made 450 at the flywheel.

for the sheer cost, I think a single would be more cost effective.

Just got a quote from Thor racing and they are just rebuilding the J-spec turbos with steel internals ie. EU-spec CT12B so your kinda wrong and they can only produce 420-450 rwhp like the EU-spec oem's.

No, people with UK/EU (export) spec cars "upgrade" to hybrid turbos also. Whether it's all a load of bullshit I don't know, but the point is that they are not the standard export spec steel internals.

Many companies offer Stage 1/2/3 hybrids, all supposedly with different levels of modification/state/internals.

At the end of the day, hybrids are simply slightly bored out, uprated interals stock turbos, so seeing huge increases in power just isnt possible due to fact that they just arnt big enough to flow the kind of air that single turbos do. you have tolook at it logically, you can up th boost to say 1.4 bar (which is what the new internals will allow you to do) which means you can flow more air through a slightly larger turbo, but theres a limit, no chance of 500rwhp, would be astonished at 500fwhp

I think you could see close to 500 flywheel with the most extreme hybrids, depending on the car. I made as good as 400 flywheel on my UK spec at 1bar on standard turbos and just decats. With hybrids, cams, some kind of ECU to trim the fuelling and timing, I can't see 500 flywheel being unrealistic.

Rear wheel though, no chance.

with gt28 sized turbos used as uprated twins on a custom manifold, custom oil lines, custom blah blah blah, a true 450-500 is very realistic, I have been reading the thread on supra forums for some time now, and if it wasn't for me selling our flat and looking for a house I would be half way through this project by now....I will one day though as I reckon the spool and mid rage power would be something else if setup sequentially

THORs dyno :)

I think you could see close to 500 flywheel with the most extreme hybrids, depending on the car. I made as good as 400 flywheel on my UK spec at 1bar on standard turbos and just decats. With hybrids, cams, some kind of ECU to trim the fuelling and timing, I can't see 500 flywheel being unrealistic.

Rear wheel though, no chance.

450 at the flywheel as made with a full fuel system, 680cc injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump, 264/264 cams, hybrids, link ecu... 451bhp at surrey rolling road.

500 would require aquamist and race gas... 500 at the wheels, on hybrids...:rlol:

THORs dyno :)

450 at the flywheel as made with a full fuel system, 680cc injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump, 264/264 cams, hybrids, link ecu... 451bhp at surrey rolling road.

500 would require aquamist and race gas... 500 at the wheels, on hybrids...:rlol:

The proof in the pudding is with grahamc's set up, hes got over and above any hybrid set up ive come accross and hes maxed out at 450 (very very nice figure mind), i couldnt see him finding another 50bhp anywhere, theres no where else to go!

The proof in the pudding is with grahamc's set up, hes got over and above any hybrid set up ive come accross and hes maxed out at 450 (very very nice figure mind), i couldnt see him finding another 50bhp anywhere, theres no where else to go!

thanks!

the guys at Surrey Rolling Road were saying that the "weak link" as such is the turbos, no more boost available

ace67, listen to what GrahamC has posted, the man knows what he's talking about :) His car has gone about as far as it can go with hybrids - and produces some very impressive figures.

450rwhp on hybrids is simply impossible, there is no possibilty of them producing this sort of HP. As Graham has mentioned, Thor's dyno is renoued for it's inflated figures. They quote Hub HP (being a hub dyno and all), but from years of comparisons it's well know that their "hub" figure is the same as the flywheel figure almost all reputable roller dyno's provide.

So, on the above, their quote of 420-450hp at the flywheel is a realistic aim.

I've stated the spec for the ideal (IMHO) hybrids before.

It goes like this:

Flowed stock exh manifold (Extrude honed after hand porting)

Extrude honed turbine housing (approx £360 for Extrude hone of turbos & manifold)

Steel turbine (from a Landcruiser 2.4L LJ70 '84-'90)

Stock central housing

360 degree thrust bearing from Turbo Technics (only sell to the trade)

Garrett GT2860RS 'Disco Potato' compressor wheels (62 trim)

All properly built by a turbo expert & balanced to a very high level (as they are likely to overspeed beyond the design limit at 500hp).

This should be enough to see the power you need.

Who builds them like this I have no idea as its all a closely guarded secret.

Parts & machining cost to build a set to this level would be around £700 plus the extrude honing.

A few years back a guy here in Sweden made 416 rwhp at only 1,16 bar with the GIK T28 Supra hybrids they are good for around 1,6-1,8 bar so go figure that was made on pumpgas . This hybrids are similiar to the ones Stu Hagen and Hammerhead are doing in the states now iam sorry but i think Stus the man not Graham when it comes to doing seq. hybrids on Supras Stus been doing it for 5 years now.....

You can read all about it here

http://www.97supraturbo.com/

and FYI a T28R can make 320-340 hp each depending on the wheels you choose i know since i have a setup here that soon will go my R34GTR VspecII :-).

So please stop saying its impossible its not ...nothing is impossible but lots of vendors want to sell there single kits since they do lots of money on them ......

Here are a new idea from Australia this was also said to be impossible to do... i guess the ppl that thoughts so was so very wrong ;-)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456989

ace67, listen to what GrahamC has posted, the man knows what he's talking about :) His car has gone about as far as it can go with hybrids - and produces some very impressive figures.

450rwhp on hybrids is simply impossible, there is no possibilty of them producing this sort of HP. As Graham has mentioned, Thor's dyno is renoued for it's inflated figures. They quote Hub HP (being a hub dyno and all), but from years of comparisons it's well know that their "hub" figure is the same as the flywheel figure almost all reputable roller dyno's provide.

So, on the above, their quote of 420-450hp at the flywheel is a realistic aim.

Hijacking here, my future plans is to get what i can out of my auto, as we know you can only get 500 max out of a auto, any way been able to achive in the 400's with hybrids is it a large noticable difference, what is it like when you go from stock to a full hybrid BPU I.E with hks 264 cams, 680cc injector's, hks fule rail, link ecu, you know what im getting at, if you do it properly without going single and you hit your limmit with the above what is it like what does it feel like driving a full bpu to standard?

i know its a bit like saying whats the difference between 500bhp car and 1000bhp thats a massive difference of cours but how would explain driving a bpu with 100 to 150bhp compared to stock is it really worth doing?