The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First time Buyer

Guest chrisbirch

Guest chrisbirch

Im looking at buying a N/A SZ-R facelift model and have seen one advertised for just under £6k. The dealer says it’s a fresh import with 66k miles and in very good condition. The only (BIG) thing is there’s no service history so don’t know how wary I should be. (I was quoted £300 for a cambelt service) Having never bought/owned a supra before Im hesitant at buying the first one I see so any tips would be useful. (I’ve read the ‘what to check thread’ on this site which is really helpful) At this level of mileage what else should I consider having done and at what cost?

Any service history would be in Japanese anyway, would it really be any use? Cam belt service doesn't need to be done immediately but you'd want to do it in the next year or two depending on the mileage you do.

What year is the car, and which dealer is it with? Members might have seen it and be able to advise further if you give us more info.

Guest chrisbirch

this is the advert I saw http://www.hsamotors.co.uk/vehicle-details.asp?new=&region=&order=&Model=&Make=&notMake=&notModel=&BodyType=&FuelType=&Transmission=&intMin=&intMax=&RSpage=1&ID=292769&popup=&label=1996+Toyota+Supra+SZ%2DR+%28Six+Speed%29

(If this doesn't work it's the silver 1996 SZ-R)

I would obviously prefer a TT but at 24yr old I cant jusify forking out £1400 on the insurance when Ill only be using the car at weekends...Was thinking of starting off with a non-turbo then maybe in 12 months go for the TT

this is the advert I saw http://www.hsamotors.co.uk/vehicle-details.asp?new=&region=&order=&Model=&Make=&notMake=&notModel=&BodyType=&FuelType=&Transmission=&intMin=&intMax=&RSpage=1&ID=292769&popup=&label=1996+Toyota+Supra+SZ%2DR+%28Six+Speed%29

(If this doesn't work it's the silver 1996 SZ-R)

I would obviously prefer a TT but at 24yr old I cant jusify forking out £1400 on the insurance when Ill only be using the car at weekends...Was thinking of starting off with a non-turbo then maybe in 12 months go for the TT

Car looks a nice clean example.

You'll more than likely find that the insurance on an NA would cost you the same as a TT.

Guest chrisbirch

I take it the N/A manuals are still good fun to drive - does the VVT-I engine make much difference? im use to driving a clio 182 but it torque steers like a bitch and seems to enjoy pulling me towards ditches on uneven roads!

I take it the N/A manuals are still good fun to drive - does the VVT-I engine make much difference? im use to driving a clio 182 but it torque steers like a bitch and seems to enjoy pulling me towards ditches on uneven roads!

if its a NA i very much doubt it will be a VVTi, but yes a manual na is good fun to drive, obviously no torque steer.

I would suspect at legal speeds there will not be much in it between a NA supra and the Clio 182 so you may wish to rethink about an NA is ultimate speed/power is important.

................which btw the way is "Msearle" 's car........

click "search"....."advanced search"...........enter "msearle" into search by user name field and you will find some info on it.

With the wheels it has and i think it may even have the larger uk brakes then it has to be worth a look when its a fair amount cheaper than the dealer one.

Im looking at buying a N/A SZ-R facelift model and have seen one advertised for just under £6k. The dealer says it’s a fresh import with 66k miles and in very good condition. The only (BIG) thing is there’s no service history so don’t know how wary I should be. (I was quoted £300 for a cambelt service) Having never bought/owned a supra before Im hesitant at buying the first one I see so any tips would be useful. (I’ve read the ‘what to check thread’ on this site which is really helpful) At this level of mileage what else should I consider having done and at what cost?

Chris hi

My NA 6 Speed is for sale. There is no tax or MOT now....but I'm prepared to put it through the MOT if you are interested or you can take it as it is

It's going back on Ebay tomorrow, with the following

1)Without MOT [and tax now] £4200 reserve

2)With MOT and tax £4700 Buy it Now

:p ;)