The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lowering

bmx1lew

When I come to lowering my Supra, How far can I go on 19" wheel's also please note I am using a Apexi GT exhaust which has a 3.75mm mid pipe , I am currently running stock J-spec shock's and wish to go lower to fill the wheel gaps and to give the car a more aggressive look, however when lowering how badly will it compromise the handling ?

also as I only use the car for day to day driving I feel that coil over's would be a unessential cost, I would like the best for the supra but at the minuet I am looking at the best I can afford so I was thinking of investing in some lowering springs then once the shocks start to go, then move onto better shocks I.e. KYB height adjustable.

will it make a drastic impact on handling if I go say 30 mill also would 30 mill be a noticeable but safe drop?

Thorin ready for you to check ;)

I droped my NA by 30 mm (tein coilovers) on the same 19's I have now and it was a very hard ride (even on the softest setting), I did not get a geo setup done either and it ripped through the rear tyres on the inside edge!!

With the TT I think ill stick with stock ride height but replace with new struts. The TT has skirts on though which give the impression of it being lower anyway.

I wont be lowering mine either. Im quite happy with the way it sits and the ride isn't to bad either after the geo was done. To be fair it was ok before but now the tyre wear is nice and even. You may have to roll the arches if you go any lower, not sure though.

If i were you and you are going to buy some adjustable coilovers when you need new shocks Id wait till then then experiment with differant drops.

I did think about dropping mine 20mm but couldnt find any spring lowering less than 30mm. I would consider going 20mm for the looks.

We do an Espilir spring which is the highest lowering spring available, lowers 20-25mm and has a great feel.

They are very expensive though as Espilir know they are the only company that offers this size. Price is £265 for these.

Regards,

Gaz.

I sat mine down 40mm. There is no apparent issues with speed bump with the car itself. Now, I also have a 3" custom exhaust and decat which has proved very very troublesome with speed bumps and curbs. After many trips to the mechanich is has been more or less solved with hiking the exhaust up in front by welding a second hook to strap the exhaust up in front. Now I can get over 99% of all bumps and stuff. Sometimes it is needed to drive at an angle though. Also you WILL have an issue with adding aftermarket lower fronts and skirts.

With all this trouble, I would have sticked with a 2mm lowering i think. 2mm combined with a nice system to pull the exhaust up as far as it'll go.

There have been definate gains by the lowering though. I also switched shocks and the car doesnt dip or lean in any way, which I really like. It might be kind of a harsh ride but nothing annoying. But this of cause depend on the quality of the roads. I don't know how the british are compared to the Danish roads here.

Btw, I'm running 18" with 245/35's on. I dont know if your 19" are going to be of a larger diameter when tires are fittet, but you shoulnt go for anything that changes the total wheel diameter much. Its not an issue in the back, but i'm guessing it could be in the front. Google "tire size calculator" and to some testing on what sizes are closest to the original.

If you would like, I can take a couple of pics to show how low mine are at the wheel and so.

just my 2 cents

/Stefan

Nice monster truck, your wheels are too big ;)

they came on the car, i like em.. Monster truck :(

I sat mine down 40mm. There is no apparent issues with speed bump with the car itself. Now, I also have a 3" custom exhaust and decat which has proved very very troublesome with speed bumps and curbs. After many trips to the mechanich is has been more or less solved with hiking the exhaust up in front by welding a second hook to strap the exhaust up in front. Now I can get over 99% of all bumps and stuff. Sometimes it is needed to drive at an angle though. Also you WILL have an issue with adding aftermarket lower fronts and skirts.

With all this trouble, I would have sticked with a 2mm lowering i think. 2mm combined with a nice system to pull the exhaust up as far as it'll go.

There have been definate gains by the lowering though. I also switched shocks and the car doesnt dip or lean in any way, which I really like. It might be kind of a harsh ride but nothing annoying. But this of cause depend on the quality of the roads. I don't know how the british are compared to the Danish roads here.

Btw, I'm running 18" with 245/35's on. I dont know if your 19" are going to be of a larger diameter when tires are fittet, but you shoulnt go for anything that changes the total wheel diameter much. Its not an issue in the back, but i'm guessing it could be in the front. Google "tire size calculator" and to some testing on what sizes are closest to the original.

If you would like, I can take a couple of pics to show how low mine are at the wheel and so.

just my 2 cents

/Stefan

please do, british roads i think you would class them as off road, where i live the A19 has a concreat secetion, decent tarmac here is like trying to get blood out of a stone!

please do, british roads i think you would class them as off road, where i live the A19 has a concreat secetion, decent tarmac here is like trying to get blood out of a stone!

Ok, I'll post a couple of shots as soon as I can get to my car for the handyman van parked next to me untill this afternoon. :(

How much has yours been bropped? It sits nice. I couldnd go that far with mine i dont think. To many speed bumps and dead animals on the road by me (rabits and badgers- reason for my 2 bumpers in 14 weeks). Id be spending my time fixing my bumper rather than driving.

What ever you do Lew you will have to make sure its adjustable. If you deck your car there's a good chance you wont be able to drive your car out of the body shop when you get your kit fitted. :D

I had my super streets 1 thread from bottom when they were first fitted but it was way to low, I was damaging the underside of my kit all the way round and my back box was hitting the top of speed bumps. Have a look at mine on sunday mate to get an idea of how low you can go before the problems start. Mines as low as it can go for everyday driving. Probs a few mil to low to be honest but so long as your carfull it's no problem.

Having not that much to compare to with any real expirence I can say this: Before the lowering and change of dampers, my feeling was that the MKIV did handle comparable to my old MKIII T. Not exectly but comparable. After the change it is more comparable to a 993 C4S that I've driven a lot. It really takes the the corners completly flat and no dippin at all. Handlet "Da Ring" perfectly (at least to my limited ability). I'm quite satisfied with the ride in general. The koni's I got is really taking potholes and the likes very nicely indeed. Firmer that before yes, but not as much as you would think and not at all in parallel how much the handling has improved.

BUT this was done a bit to quickly and 40mm has definetly (as described above) given problems with speed bumps and so and had I know that I would have insisted on a 20mm lowering in stead. This has been solved by hiking up the exhaust up front though. This is of cause only an issue due to the custom 3" exhaust. If stock, there is no trouble and the car has a ride height of 11cm.

My advice; go for around 20mm if you want to lower the soop.